Purchased: Seadoo 1997 XP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrevorM

Well ladies and gents it’s been too long without a Seadoo after selling my 2001 Seadoo GTX (I need to update my profile picture). Anyways I’ve been wanting to buy a newer four stroke, but ultimately I decided to be more responsible and not blow loads of money. So I’ve been casually searching Facebook marketplace and I came across this 97 XP with a trailer for $1300. And I thought why not? So I offered the guy $1000 for both the Seadoo and Trailer which he accepted so I’m now an owner of a 97 XP lol!

Anyways the seller said he owned it for 2-3 years and rod it once due to health issues. It’s been sitting for a little bit, but it started up and I did a compression check (the compression gauge I used was absolute garbage as it couldn’t accurately hold the pressure and is usually -5psi off) with the crap compression gauge I used I managed to see the gauge hit ~140+ psi on both cylinders. Only concern I have was the fact that the seller was using a lawn mower battery hooked to a charger to power up the ski because he didn’t have a proper battery, but I wanted to do a compression test no matter what so that was the only option at the time. Could that do anything to compression test results? Also I have a lot of cleaning up to do! Nothing my trusty power washer can’t handle!

The battery won't affect the compression testing (unless the battery couldn't turn the starter to pump the cylinders, but sounds like it was doing it to get you to 140).....140 psi isn't bad with a crappy guage. So long as it turned over relatively easy you should be alright....while not the ideal situation (battery wise)....you do what you have to sometimes.....WELCOME back to the club (and the ensuing misery ;):thumbs-up:). Not a bad looker!

Thanks for the welcoming back haha! I plan to buy a proper battery and a new compression gauge because I’m sick of using the junk I have. It seemed to turn over freely. I know it needs some heavy cleaning inside and out. It also has the gray fuel lines so I will be replacing those and rebuilding carbs like I did on my 01 GTX. I haven’t decided if I want to keep it or flip/sell it.

Last edited:
I would recommend pump service and inspection. While it is off pull the cover plate off of the top of the carrier bearing support and inspect the drive shaft coupler adapter. At this age they start getting brittle and coming apart. If any sign of cracking, pieces missing, order two. There is one on the engine end of shaft too.

Thanks for the advice I’ll check it out. I’m hoping there’s no major issues with the Seadoo as I’m probably going to mess around with it for a little then probably sell it as I still want a four stroke lol! But all advice/suggestions are welcomed!

How do I attach water hose to the XP? I know it has the water pipe on the rear but do I need a special adapter or something because my hose or my quick connector can’t screw onto the end of the water pipe in the rear. I took a picture of what my rear water pipe end looks like it’s not a normal screw in.6E6827ED-CC95-41FD-B05C-52256B709148.jpeg

Last edited:
The brass piece is the end off of a garden hose. Remove it, and you'll be able to to screw your hose in

The brass piece is the end off of a garden hose. Remove it, and you'll be able to to screw your hose in

Oh! I guess the previous owner or someone broke off the end of their hose. I was wondering why it was like that! Thank you I will try to remove it when I get home today!

Can someone help with how to remove the seat on the 1997 XP? I watched a YouTube video on how to do it and I got the back plating off the seat and I loosen the clamp on the suspension. But the front of the seat the sides that attach to the hull I got one of the side panels loose but the other I can’t even get the nut off as the whole bolt in the picture that’s circled red just spins so I can’t get the nut off that’s located inside the hood.E1487617-771C-4762-8B73-4E76FA8D1C7D.jpeg

Slip a wrench ( can’t remember size right off) up between seat arm and hull to hold the bolt from spinning. It has a hex shape for a wrench to hold it right against the hull. It is visible in your picture.

Slip a wrench ( can’t remember size right off) up between seat arm and hull to hold the bolt from spinning. It has a hex shape for a wrench to hold it right against the hull. It is visible in your picture.

I tried to hold it with pliers as I don’t think it’s a normal hex shape or whatever it’s called. It was dark out so I will try in the morning when I have more light. The other side was easy!

I took the seat off but the whole seat spring strut assembly came apart and I think it’s broke. So that’s awesome lol...

Last edited:
What is broken? Can you post picture?

Here is mine.
5304cfc4d386a63fc4835b3ee7c02f16.jpg

Not likely according to my wife. My Sea-Doo guy fixed mine brand new. She doesn’t ride, scared of alligators lol

Well darn I think mine broke so now I’m buying one on eBay for $35. Also I took this out of the xp today... Hard to tell but that’s blue oil (TWC-3) i siphoned all the oil out and plan to clean tank and replace oil filter. Hopefully any oil in the lines don’t gum up after putting the correct API-TC low ash oil in... Also siphoned 2 year old bad gas out!

50714B8B-BD31-4C3E-BF1F-3F0C6D9619AD.jpeg

I can’t just part out the shock. While it is new, I had money spent on the ski along with the shock absorber. If you want to buy the ski as a whole, that’s doable.

Dunno ‍♂️
My Sea-Doo guy did the labor on it. He showed me what he did. That’s why I paid him to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back