Purchase 2008 RXP 255?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrevorM

So I have a 2001 Seadoo GTX and I have been thinking about selling it and upgrading to a four stroke for more reliability. I found a guy near me that’s selling a 2008 Seadoo RXP 255 with 53 hrs. The guy list it as in excellent condition and just recent maintenance done.

I’ve done some reading online about supercharged seadoos and have found that the super chargers need to be rebuilt after so often and I hear that you have to be more careful when buying a performance/supercharged Seadoo. Could anyone shine some light on this particular Seadoo? Are there any common issues. Or should I even be considering this Seadoo?

You have jet ski experience so take it for a test drive. If it scares the crap out of you should be good 255 RXP. Ride it for a good 30 minutes and plenty of wot time. Ride it like you don’t own it. If he doesn’t have records on a supercharger rebuild within the last two years plan $500 and a week downtime before you want to ride when it’s yours. Not sure on the valve stems on a 2008 but I think there were issues. Maybe someone with knowledge will chime in. External intercooler which is good. 11 years and 53 hours can be good and bad. 5 hours a year would be great but 50 the first two years and 5 the rest would be bad. Hopefully he has some decent service records, make sure it was serviced every couple years and didn’t sit idle for 10.

Bad news the Seadoo sold before I had the chance to check it out. I found another one though but with 171 hrs. Is that too many hrs?

2008 was a pretty good model year for Seadoo..very few issues vs other years. I have a 215 and 155 and they have been great. 171 hours is on the "higher" side vs what you can typically find but these 4tecs can go well beyond that. I've seen rentals at 800-1000 hours BUT if it's the SC model and the seller cannot prove the SC has been rebuilt factor that into your offer because it will need to be done. Rebuild is recommended every 100 hours or 2 years

So this other one is actually a 2009 Seadoo RXT 255 with 171 hours. The seller is asking $6,000 with trailer and cover. Seller notes that the unit is in excellent condition and has been serviced/maintained. Before I even try to look at it is that a good price?

Last edited:
2009 and 2010 pretty much had "all" iBR "fail" or at minimum had iBR issues. There are ic leaking issues with all the models that have the ic separate (not in the intake manifold) especially when used in saltwater.

2009 RXT 255 iS IBR failure

2009 and 2010 pretty much had "all" iBR "fail" or at minimum had iBR issues. There are ic leaking issues with all the models that have the ic separate (not in the intake manifold) especially when used in saltwater.

2009 RXT 255 iS IBR failure

Damn it so this might be a bad deal? Also what does ic mean? I have a two stroke without all this fancy technology so I have no idea.

UPDATE: Nvm the seller sells the supercharger was rebuilt 2 years ago at 120 hours. He says a certified Seadoo Tech came to his garage and rebuilt it but has no paperwork to back that claim. He also said IBR has no issues and wasn’t aware of the 2009/2010 issues. I think I’ll pass.

Last edited:
At 2 years the SC would really need to be redone now in any respect. And obviously "100%" of the iBR's did not fail but with it being a known problem I would pass too.

Think the starting point is wrong, if you expect an increase in reliability on < 2010 ski's than you are up for a few costly surprises.
Good used PWC's are there but of course they come at a price.Yes, a certified Seadoo mechanic coming at home leaving no evidence :) The seller must be a sales guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back