PTO shaft seal question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

david1093

Premium Member
Premium Member
Hi, I have a 2005 RXP that looks like the PTO seal boot has been ripped up. I noticed it after a stone got into the pump with noticeable vibration- stone cleaed but oil later found in the bilge. Oil leaks only with engine running but never got a low oil pressure alarm.
Feeling the boot, looks like it was ripped in half and one half is now missing.I also found a corroded clamp that was broken that was about the right size for the PTO seal - I did not pay much attention to it since it was just serviced and I assumed the clamp had been changed.

Here are the questions:
can pump vibration cause the seal fail or be torn?
What special tools are needed to pull the pump and change the seal?
Is it possible that the shaft was pull towards the rear by the pump (due to the stone), ripping the seal in the process

Also how to you clamp the intake line- there is no way I can reach in there and put on a clamp?

Thanks

It's not possible that a stone ripped the oil seal. There is a carbon seal and a carbon seal bellows that seals out the lake water. There is a separate oil seal about 5" away on the driveshaft that seals the oil in the motor. What you are feeling is the flap that covers the driveshaft and is not ripped or only half there.

Pump vibration won't cause the oil seal fail or to be torn. The oil seal is mounted in a flexible boot(separate from the carbon seal bellows, which you felt the flap of) and easily flexes to follow the path of the driveshaft even if it had a major vibration.
Special tools are recommended but not really needed if you are careful and follow proper procedure.
Not possible that the driveshaft moved forward and ripped the seal. Driveshaft is pretty much trapped by the pump and engine and even if it did move a little, which it does under load, it won't cause any damage at all.

First, I suggest you read the service manual, it's a free pdf online. Second, it is very simple to remove the black plastic seat support on the RXP that the seat latches to and be able to easily access the carbon seal and the driveshaft oil seal. You can clean the area and then place clean paper towels under the driveshaft seal to check for leaks while running on the hose for a couple minutes. The driveshaft oil seal does fail on occasion but is a pretty simple fix.

ok
thanks for the information. i had already read
the shop
manual and thus my concern cor the need to use special
tools since it mentioned in the manual.
part of the seal is definatly
missing as the tear is in the middle of the bellows. thinking about it now, it may be that bearing seized on the output side of the seal. we are operating in salt water and this particular ski was sunk once-maybe affecting the bearing?

anything is possible. you should just disassemble and inspect carefully. removing the collar on the carbon seal can be difficult in saltwater machines. once you get it to spin on the driveshaft it will usually start to push back to expose the c-clip. Without a special tool, you may have to grab the collar with visegrips(it wll mark up the outer surface) and work it back and forth to get it to turn, then push back with twisting motion at the same time. I've heard of others having to cut off the collar but I've never had to but I normally am not working on saltwater machines.

thanks
note that skis are 2000 miles away on a island on the atlantic.i need to bring everything possble needed with me to do the repair. i have an output bearing,oil cooler and oil filter can parts. next time i go i will give it a try.

sounds like i should also bring a new c clip,retainer hat and the tool used for shaft separation.for this there appears to be a different tool needed that is model dependant-or are they all the same (tool parts numbers are different). any thing else suggested to bring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back