Carbon seal question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

mnm99

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and starting to do my research. I have a question about the carbon seal on the Seadoo. I'm in the process of putting together a Mini Jet boat build. I'm going to need a donor ski, but am going back and forth with Seadoo and Yamaha. I like the Yamaha coupler setup, but also like the Rotax engine. Yamaha engine SVHO is also good. Is there a upgrade to the Carbon seal setup similar to the Yamaha? Are the Carbon seals as reliable as the Yamaha setup? As for ease of install, I think the Yamaha also. I'm surprised Seadoo doesn't use something like these. Anyone know what is the diameter in say a 2016 rtx 260 input shaft? Thank you

Shaft Seal Kits Archives - Tides Marine | Marine Industry Products

My perspective - the talk of carbon seal failure is way overblown. It isn’t very common and has even improved over time. I am over 320 hours on a well cared for 2007 GTI SE 155 with original carbon seal. No leaks. I have had 2 hose clamps rust and exhaust cooling hoses come off and fill my hull with water. I am far more worried about that than my carbon seal. Will probably change all hose clamps this summer…

My perspective - the talk of carbon seal failure is way overblown. It isn’t very common and has even improved over time. I am over 320 hours on a well cared for 2007 GTI SE 155 with original carbon seal. No leaks. I have had 2 hose clamps rust and exhaust cooling hoses come off and fill my hull with water. I am far more worried about that than my carbon seal. Will probably change all hose clamps this summer…
Thanks. I think I made up my mind. Spoke to a mechanic that my friend is good friends with. I’m on the hunt for either a 215, 255 or 260. Thanks for all your help guys.

My 2012 GTI has 300+ hours and the original carbon seal. Was recently inspected by the dealer and they confirmed it's good for many more hours.

Back