PSA about using the wrong oil

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

squad1

I just found the original oil filter from when I purchased my Challenger. When I bought it, it was filled with the green-blue oil which I am guessing was TCW-3. Out of curiosity, I cut it open to see what the insides looked like:

The nipple was completely clogged and the oil had gelled inside the filter, clogging most of the screen.

New owners of old boats/skis; save yourself some headaches and replace parts like this for a few $, especially if the previous owner used the wrong products or you don't have the history.

54.jpg
55.jpg
56.jpg

Almost like those of us that keep arguing to only use the correct oil know what we are talking about.

OIl level should be checked before you head out, and the low oil alarm alerts before the tank in empty.. This was a thread about using the correct oil, not running out of oil...

So I have a slightly unrelated question. I've seen many say only to use genuine seadoo filters. But on something as simple as an inline oil filter, does anyone have an actual reason for that? What's wrong with the 5 pack of "aftermarket" on amazon?

So I have a slightly unrelated question. I've seen many say only to use genuine seadoo filters. But on something as simple as an inline oil filter, does anyone have an actual reason for that? What's wrong with the 5 pack of "aftermarket" on amazon?
On the oil filters you don't have to use genuine but I also would not use the absolute cheapest ones you can find either.

On the oil filters you don't have to use genuine but I also would not use the absolute cheapest ones you can find either.
Not only are they cheaper, they're easier to find. I'm going to run the ones from amazon and hope they perform.

Back