Is this the Seadoo Rattle?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

vegaschef364

I keep hearing about the seadoo rattle. I have seen a few videos with a bad rattle, but haven't found any showing a normal rattle, and trying to figure out which one I have, I do not remember it sounding like this last year. My phone is sitting in the closed glovebox, and halfway through I open it, so you can hear it a bit better, hopefully it is enough to tell if it is normal or not. That's the short story, here is the long story but I'll try and make it brief. The ski is my brother in laws, It is a 2001 GTX DI he bought a few years ago, and sits in a garage here in MO all year. End of 2021 he flushed it with antifreeze, drained it, unhooked the battery, filled the tank and added fuel stabilizer. Summer of 22 I had a nightmare getting it running, not knowing anything about them. Ended up changing plugs and adding some heet and some octane booster I think. Ran fine for the 3 weeks we were here. Did the same winterizing except were not able to flush it, just ran it briefly for 5 sec or so to blow out any water, hopefully. I got here a week early this year, I don't have a truck so got someone off of craigslist to help me drop it and our boat in the lake. Before launching it he told me to hit it real quick to see if it would start, it didn't. Tossed a charger on it overnight and it started so we dropped it in. Played for about an hour then docked it, no lift, just tied up in a slip. Got to it the next morning, took it out and it died on me and would not start back up, luckily I was real close to our slip so I got my swimming exercise for the day. 3 days later after a couple new batteries, came uncharged, had to charge overnight, I realized it was the starter. Changed that out, started right up but would die right away, so go through some more steps, replaced fuel filter and plugs. Starter was installed while in the water, then I managed to get it on a pad, or whatever those plastic floats are called to do the filter. And that's where I am now, it starts, stays running but sounds pretty rough. We use the normal boat up gas dock, do put the premium in it, but have just recently learned that the oil we use probably is wrong. It's the Quicksilver PWC Full Synthetic, that he told me to use. Would the old gas and cheap oil cause a rattle? It is the same stuff we used last year and really don't remember it sounding like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have 2 kids that have been dying to go tubing all week, but have been great about not being able to.

My 2000 GTX DI has a rattle out of the water but it is the impeller that makes noise when there is no load (water) on it. I dont hear anything unusual with your video. DI's are very tricky to get running right. There is another fuel filter in the tank that may be clogged. Air and fuel pressure are critical, as is compression. I would test compression to verify the engine is not damaged (from the wrong oil) and if that is good test fuel pressure. The service manual is available online with a google search and you can find all the numbers.

Back