Please help... first time buyer.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerald.peterson

buying two 2001 seadoo rxdi, both have 78 hours.

I am a first time buyer, what are the things i should look at? Of course i am going to test drive both of them. Are these good first time buyer skis? Do they require a lot of up keep?

Please Help!

Thank you

General consensus is stay away from DI skis, especially if you are new to seadoos. Great when they work but difficult to troubleshoot and can be much more expensive to repair.

I'd suggest finding a pair of carbureted skis. Reliable and simple to fix yourself.

General consensus is stay away from DI skis, especially if you are new to seadoos. Great when they work but difficult to troubleshoot and can be much more expensive to repair.

I'd suggest finding a pair of carbureted skis. Reliable and simple to fix yourself.

I'll second the motion.

I'll 3rd it,,,

Di engines are great when all is how they should be. But when it isn't, they are much harder to diagnose and considerably more expensive to fix.

As first time ski's I would not buy them unless I absolutely stole them.

Again, really a nice system when they are running right. No fun when they are not.

To me it depends on your background. I have been playing around engines and electronics since I was a kid. I love my DI. Just rebuild the complete engine, and break-in is a nightmare, because it SIPS gas... I need to run 2 tanks of gas through it, and it is killing me to do it...

So back to your question.

I would check compression. On a DI, anything below 120 is a rebuild. 140 to 150 is perfect.

Over 200 hours you are looking at a new crankshaft, which is a full engine rebuild.

Fuel pressure and a good 12 volt charging system are critical. You want 107 PSI on the fuel system. You can build a fuel pressure gauge fairly cheep. The rectifiers do fail, and an OEM is the preferred replacement. DO not buy a China knockoff, unless you want to replace it...

Price is a major consideration. 78 hours on the ski, is not much. The skis should be close to mint...

There are guys on here that love the DI...

DI's come with their risks & can be difficult to service yourself if the need ever arises. But when running right they are fantastic & are very easy on oil & fuel.

I wouldn't tell anyone not to by a DI, But I would absolutely insist on a thorough test ride. Not just a short one. start it a few times, hit it hard off idle & wide open for a stretch. If it runs great & no maintenance warnings come on, it might end up being a great running trouble free machine for you. But it should run great. no hesitations, vibrations or misses. any of the above & there is likely trouble around the corner. If the seller won't let you test ride, walk away. (quickly) :D

These machines are getting up there in age & there a lot of them that are very abused, neglected & at the end of their rope. But, there are still a few really nice ones out there too. Like mention above. Check the compression, if its 140-145 & everything else is good I would consider buying it. The three biggest problems with them are voltage regulator/rectifiers, fuel pumps & failed crankshaft bearings.

Here on the forum it does sometimes feels like DI's are nothing but trouble. I think that's in part to the fact that many service centers don't service them & owners are reaching out for help & they land here. Lots of riders out on the water without problems & they don't stop in to say hi much to even out the statistics. :)

ok thanks for the help everyone. two skis and a trailer for 5k with 78 hours on them. sounds like a good deal. stupid question but will i have to mix oil and gas with these?

what would be a good first ski? i have rented skis several times before so i know about them. just want a reliable one.

was also looking at the XP ltd

Last edited by a moderator:
ok thanks for the help everyone. two skis and a trailer for 5k with 78 hours on them. sounds like a good deal. stupid question but will i have to mix oil and gas with these?

what would be a good first ski? i have rented skis several times before so i know about them. just want a reliable one.

No mixing oil in one tank and fuel in another.
I would stay away from the XP limited as a first family ski.

As ragtop said long test ride to see if they are good skis or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back