2002 RX DI - Is this normal?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

rotaxrule1

Hello folks,

I am hopefully on the tail end of getting my 2002 RX DI project running the way I want. I just rebuilt the pump due to a leaking seal and bearings going bad, among a few other minor things. When I take it out, I can get it to about 51 (GPS) pretty easily on rough water. I am maybe hitting 6600 RPM tops. I feel like it still is a tiny bit sluggish compared to what I have read with others with this model doing about 68-6900 RPM and nearly hitting 60MPH, though I am at about 4300ft altitude. It pulls pretty good throughout the entire RPM range, but it does have an intermittent cutting out, seems to be provoked by hitting waves in a certain direction, I haven't totally pinpointed it.

So, the basics, I have a gauge on the air and fuel ports in the rail and at idle and as far as I can read through the RPM range when riding it, the air is consistently between 75-80PSI and the fuel is always over 100PSI, but due to the needle bouncing, I can't tell if it's actually reaching 107PSI. Compression in both cylinders is between 125-130PSI if I recall correctly. Check out this quick video if you want to see what I am talking about, that's just running it on the cart in the garage.

Am I being too picky? The engine does have 240 hours on it... I know it's toward the end of its service life.

You have a pretty big power loss there. Check your Water Control Valve to make sure it isn't leaking and check your raves. Make sure your rave solenoid is functioning properly. I would describe the RX DIs power delivery as ferocious and hang on. If you're not getting that you have an issue. Good Luck !!

Thanks Gene, I did notice the water valve leaking too. I had an extra bellow so I fixed that up today and will check it now and keep tweaking it. Thanks again!

Water valve can affect high RPM performance. I'm not sure how much but I've read 500 RPM. I don't see RPMs much over 6900 in the best performing skis. My 787s don't get that high but the top speed is good. I think the type of water and such affects that to a degree.

Back