piston ring end gap.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boyd12

I am working on a Di engine. I bored the cylinders and got new pistons. I checked the piston/cylinder clearance and it is on spec. I checked the ring end gap and it is at .019 when SD spec is .022 to .028. Can I file some off or do I need to return the rings. I checked the part number and they are the correct parts.
Thanks!

Do have measurements for the gap at the top middle and bottom of the stroke?

Pretty sure it is normal to take a little off if the gap is small. Although i have not had to do this in the 5 engine i have worked on.
Also not sure if a file is actually used? I would be inclined to grind. Rings are very hard metal.

Are you sure the piston to cylinder setup clearance is correct? If it is then your ring gap should be correct too.

It happens once in a while with new rings. The proper way to increase the gap is to put a flat file vertically in a vice. Now grasp the ring with both hands, on either side of the gap, and file both sides up and down at the same time. Be careful not to take too much off.
I applaud you for checking the gap clearance, many people never check it.:cheers:

Chester

I'll assume these are imperial measurements so if that is the case you're 0.003" out of tolerance. Which is the thickness of a good ole' dollar bill. Fold it in half and you're just about in the middle of spec, I would have buttoned it up.

I agree with racerxxx I have seen motor ring gap off more than that and they last and run just fine

thanks for the response.
Piston/cylinder wall clearance is correct. This is the second set of rings. the first set was off by a mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back