Ordered my Alpine Equipment today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irish1800

Stereo install should begin shortly along with LED light install. I've been reading about the 2nd battery install. Will the alternator/generator on the Merc 240hp engine charge 2 batteries and where are you guys getting the water tight plugin for the battery tender to plug into when your at home? I'd like to get one for both while it's sitting to charge as well as for the winter months when it's laid up to keep the batteries charged up.

Also where would be the ideal choice for the 2nd battery on a 02 Challenger 1800?

The merc actually has an alternator i believe. I know another member who was actually my inspiration for this (Darthspeed) has the merc and 2 batteries is no big deal for him. You should have plenty of room in the engine compartment to ad it. May even be room right next to the oem battery.

I use a die hard charger/maintainer and it can be used by plugging into a 12 volt lighter type plug. So i have a plug in the storage compartment that i charge through and then when im out on the boat, it use it to plug stuff like an air pump in to.

I got my HU and Amp today, but no speakers yet, so install will have to wait until next weekend. Still getting a few things together regardless so no biggie there.

Looks like a good unit. Someone on here mentioned the Alpine HU's have an RF based remote. I am kind of interested, its not listed for that model, so i guess ill keep lookin.

Looks like a good unit. Someone on here mentioned the Alpine HU's have an RF based remote. I am kind of interested, its not listed for that model, so i guess ill keep lookin.

You have to purchase the MC20 remote and then the MC2 if you want a additional remote at transom or upfront. They are RF remotes completely wireless other than power and ground.

Yeah i saw that...but using the term remote for that is kind of misleading. That is just a wired remote really. Yeah it is wireless as far as wires to the receiver, but it still has to be mounted and have positive and negative wires run to it. Kinda pointless. I am looking for something that truly has a wireless RF remote. They do have the RF remote option but looking at it, its the same thing I have for my clarion. I havent been impressed yet. I was hoping they really had something better. I guess ill keep waiting.

Yeah i saw that...but using the term remote for that is kind of misleading. That is just a wired remote really. Yeah it is wireless as far as wires to the receiver, but it still has to be mounted and have positive and negative wires run to it. Kinda pointless. I am looking for something that truly has a wireless RF remote. They do have the RF remote option but looking at it, its the same thing I have for my clarion. I havent been impressed yet. I was hoping they really had something better. I guess ill keep waiting.

It beats pulling a wire to the remote from HU like I had to do on my Baja with the Clarion CMD6 one to the helm Y splitter and another wire to the transom. Its sorta what I'm used to if it wasn't bolted down I'd lose it. It did come with a hand held remote, but I'll use the mounted ones. Trying to decide if I want one at transom or up in bow though?

Its easy. If you have to pull the power and ground, its no different to pull anything else. The clarion HU's use a single cable that contains all the wires in it. It literally took me like 10 minutes to run the wire to the rear of the boat. I added a remote on the swim platform and that is what i use most of the time. I'd pick the rear over the bow anyday for the remote. Makes it nice when you are just playing in the water. Here is what mine looks like.

93.jpg

Yea thats the one I have on my 30' Baja wasn't a few minute job to pull it down the gunwales and across the engine bay in that. How do you like the Hydro Turf in the diamond on your swim step? I don't think I want to do it inside but definately on swim step that thing is slippery when wet.

I love it. I really think it is the best mod i have done on the boat. It is nice to have the interior done too. Very nice on the feet. It makes the boat look a lot better too.

I love it. I really think it is the best mod i have done on the boat. It is nice to have the interior done too. Very nice on the feet. It makes the boat look a lot better too.

I'm just concerned with clean up. What color is the swim step?

I went with dark grey. There really is no clean up. Hydroturf really is no maintenance. I cant say enough how great the stuff is. I have spilled food and drinks on it and just wash it like the rest of the boat with soap and water and it is fine. I got my greasy hand prints on it once while working and with a little dawn dish soap and a scrub brush it came right off.

My second battery is mounted right next to the starting battery. With the isolator installed, it never drains from the starter, but the 240efi does charge both. It's amazing that I have not had to hit the deep cycle battery with a charger after the initial outing.

I was thinking of a new head unit too. I actually like that clarion remote if it is just a single run from the HU. Do you have Ipod controls with that as well? I would say we run the XM more than anything, but we could never run that with the remote as it is external to the HU. We may have to get XM integrated and just pay for summer months.

X2 on the Hydro Turf as well. Molded Diamond, inside and out. Dark Gray was the way to go. I use my pressure washer on it as well, and it is holding up fine. The white letters need a bit more attention, but not much. I would say it was the best mod, but we enjoy the Kickers on the tower when Redneck Yachtclubing!

Keep us posted on your install!

My second battery is mounted right next to the starting battery. With the isolator installed, it never drains from the starter, but the 240efi does charge both. It's amazing that I have not had to hit the deep cycle battery with a charger after the initial outing.

I was thinking of a new head unit too. I actually like that clarion remote if it is just a single run from the HU. Do you have Ipod controls with that as well? I would say we run the XM more than anything, but we could never run that with the remote as it is external to the HU. We may have to get XM integrated and just pay for summer months.

X2 on the Hydro Turf as well. Molded Diamond, inside and out. Dark Gray was the way to go. I use my pressure washer on it as well, and it is holding up fine. The white letters need a bit more attention, but not much. I would say it was the best mod, but we enjoy the Kickers on the tower when Redneck Yachtclubing!

Keep us posted on your install!

Which isolator did you use? Any pics of the battery mount to give me a idea of how it looks?

Sorry, didn't do it myself. I recognized my limitations and let my local stereo shop do the install. I can pop a photo of the engine bay though. I should see if I still have my receipt or if it has any markings on it while in there.

I need to do some cleaning in there anyway after this past week's sub move! Funny how crap shows up when you rinse out the entire hull of your boat!!

Its easy. If you have to pull the power and ground, its no different to pull anything else. The clarion HU's use a single cable that contains all the wires in it. It literally took me like 10 minutes to run the wire to the rear of the boat. I added a remote on the swim platform and that is what i use most of the time. I'd pick the rear over the bow anyday for the remote. Makes it nice when you are just playing in the water. Here is what mine looks like.

Here's a couple pics of my setup in my other boat. Obviously you know what the helm and transom remote look like.

Attachments

• chrome radio bezel.jpg
    chrome radio bezel.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 48
  • lights 2.jpg
    lights 2.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 54
  • lights 1.jpg
    lights 1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 6.5 pods.jpg
    6.5 pods.jpg