2007 Speedster 150 Hard Start in the Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradmagnus

Hi I just bought a Speedster (its the 155 NA). I've had it out on the water 3 times now.

The 1st time, was flawless (just like the test drive).

The 2nd time the launch was great and most of the day, but after parking to swim and eat for an hour I couldn't get it to start. Got towed back into the ramp (very slowly no water in the exhaust). I thought I had killed the battery so I put it on the charger. A few days later after the charge, I started it several times in the driveway and everything seemed fine.

3rd time out, started flawlessly on the launch, plus a couple more times, then on the last time before heading in, the crank took 3 attempts to start. I took it to O'Reilly's they did a battery, starter, and alternator test, of course on the trailer again. Flawless starts, battery and starter passed, I couldn't run it long enough to get all the way through alternator test, but was charging at 13v. Back at home I hooked up hose and did several more test starts on the trailer, about 10, letting it run less than 4 minutes at a time and letting it cool in between, following the manual's guidelines. I took it out to the ramp to do a few more test starts on the trailer but in the water.

All that to say attached is a video from the ramp where the starter hesitated, but then a few seconds later did start. The hesitation is what I experienced on day 2, but didn't turn over. What should I do from here? Obviously it's not a lot of fun being out on the water when you aren't confident in your ability to get back to the ramp :) and my wife is going to be pissed if we have to get towed again...

Attachments

My speedster had the same problem. Started on the trailer but not in the water. When its in the water there is a load on the impeller, this is the difference between a out of water start and in water start. I did the same with my battery, charged it and it seemed to be OK but would not start in the water. Replaced the battery and it works good now. Lots of fellow boaters recommend carrying a jump pack.

The Speedster I had previously cranked slow from the day I got it. The original owner commented on it but said it had always been like that and he figured it was normal. It always started even though it sometimes took a couple of tries, especially when hot. Eventually I looked into it when some other electrical issues started happening, and I found that one of the connections on the back of the battery switch (below the dash) was not tightened well and apparently never was, from the factory. Cleaned up the connections and tightened properly and it cranked fast then on and always started first try. Just a thought.

My speedster had the same problem. Started on the trailer but not in the water. When its in the water there is a load on the impeller, this is the difference between a out of water start and in water start. I did the same with my battery, charged it and it seemed to be OK but would not start in the water. Replaced the battery and it works good now. Lots of fellow boaters recommend carrying a jump pack.
Thanks for the input. I do keep meaning to grab my jump pack (will do next time) Just out of curiosity, did you do a battery test at an auto parts store? I did 2xs and they said it was all good...

The Speedster I had previously cranked slow from the day I got it. The original owner commented on it but said it had always been like that and he figured it was normal. It always started even though it sometimes took a couple of tries, especially when hot. Eventually I looked into it when some other electrical issues started happening, and I found that one of the connections on the back of the battery switch (below the dash) was not tightened well and apparently never was, from the factory. Cleaned up the connections and tightened properly and it cranked fast then on and always started first try. Just a thought.

Thanks! Ya I was reading elsewhere about the ground cable coming loose and some other loose connections. I'll be taking a closer look before we're on the water again this weekend.

I did hear from a Seadoo mechanic today. Before even seeing the video he said the key/lanyard can have a poor connectivity or that the push button switch can also become finicky and require pushing it from a different angle.

I'll be testing connections and wires this weekend.

Its hard to do a load test on a lead acid battery that does not include reading the specific gravity of each cell. This kind of test is way beyond what auto parts stores do. I once replaced my DESS post on a "Seadoo Mechanics" recommendation, turned out not to be the problem. The DESS post and start button can be checked very easily with a meter.

Its hard to do a load test on a lead acid battery that does not include reading the specific gravity of each cell. This kind of test is way beyond what auto parts stores do. I once replaced my DESS post on a "Seadoo Mechanics" recommendation, turned out not to be the problem. The DESS post and start button can be checked very easily with a meter.

Haha! Noted :)

I know that the battery is at least 3 years old. I was trying to be cheap but I guess it would be best to just replace it. (and also picking up a meter, because I'm reading more about the ground wire)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back