Orange gas?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaynedwyer

Just did a full rebuild on fuel and carbs for my 95 XP. I ran the tank down to nearly empt before I did the work. When I refilled to full tank, I didn't visually look inside the tank but after replacing the fuel filter I'm seeing my gas is orange. It looks like the bottom half of the tank is orange and the top is not? Is this just a dye? I've never seen my gas orange before.
Imgur link

Last edited:
Only times I've seen fuel go dark, and look orange... is when it's very old.
This is fresh within the week. That's why I'm so confused. We did have two heavy rain storms and I had the ski uncovered - I'm wondering if somehow water got in and caused phase separation? Every example I've seen of phase separation has shown a more rusty orange color, and not the bright orange that came out of mine.

My concern is that tank was nearly empty when I filled it up last week. So it's all from the same batch, and it appears only the orange part is on the bottom half.Screenshot_20180708-074104.png

If you can see a layer... then yes... it's a possibility. But it normally doesn't happen that fast, or with fresh fuel.

If you can see a layer... then yes... it's a possibility. But it normally doesn't happen that fast, or with fresh fuel.
Here's what it looks like in the tank. Do you think I should pump this out and put fresh gas in? How can I dispose of no good gas?IMG_20180707_112901.jpg

My fuel here in California does the same thing. Orange in about s month.
I’m having the same issue, except my jet ski doesn’t want to run in this orange fuel. Brand new carb rebuild, all new fuel lines, filter and selector switch. Flushed out the tank and after the fuel in the line sits it turns orange and non-runnable. Please help!! Very frustrating how I’m ready to take my ski out and adjust the carbs but this fuel issue continues! Thanks guys! Also, it turns orange in less than one hour.

You have something else going on. Try buying your fuel from another station. It should never change color in less than a week let alone an hour.

Wow, if the fuel is changed color over a short period of time, it's being contaminated. So it depends on what the contamination is, a harmless color die or some dissociated polymer that's bound to coke in the combustion process and interfere with lubrication and gum the ring lands?

Sometimes as light reflects through a plastic fuel tank it might look off color, draw some "contaminated" fuel and confirm?

Here’s a picture of what I keep getting in my line every time

Attachments

• 6406D7F0-4EC2-4CCE-9240-2676AB6D827E.jpeg
    6406D7F0-4EC2-4CCE-9240-2676AB6D827E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
Keep in mind that we’re in that time of year where some gas stations are switching from winter blend gasoline to summer blend. I have seen some instances of separation and discoloration when the two formulations are mixed. If I had to guess, I would say you caught them right when they were transitioning... It’s really not a huge deal if that’s the case, as it should all burn roughly the same.

If you are having problems with the fuel changing colors and the ski not running afterwards, it’s very possible that the fuel is contaminated. There are some fungi that can cause orange fuel and poor performance.

Keep in mind that we’re in that time of year where some gas stations are switching from winter blend gasoline to summer blend. I have seen some instances of separation and discoloration when the two formulations are mixed. If I had to guess, I would say you caught them right when they were transitioning... It’s really not a huge deal if that’s the case, as it should all burn roughly the same.

If you are having problems with the fuel changing colors and the ski not running afterwards, it’s very possible that the fuel is contaminated. There are some fungi that can cause orange fuel and poor performance.
Very helpful, thanks guys. Still battling the orange fuel. Every day when I come home from work I have to siphon the fuel hose until clear fuel hits it. I’m changing out the lines tomorrow, but it’s weird considering they’re brand new from Advanced Auto!

If it's heavier than fuel, then it's water. Could be from old ethanol fuel from some pumping station, or water has entered your fuel tank, or condensation from continually having an empty fuel tank.
In the boating world, you will often see vessels equipped with a water-fuel separator.

I see it all the time as I'm constantly draining old gas from tanks and installing new fuel lines. They always run. The fuel changing color is not your issue and since you got it recently I don't think you should replace it. Like someone says earlier in this thread the color will clear up within a tank or two.

If you just got your fuel system back together then I would look for a swapped fuel line or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back