Oil spurting through both spark plug holes..

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roller25

Hi guys. My 2000 Challenger 1400 (twin 717's) had been sitting for 12 months. Starboard engine ran fine last run (12 months ago), went to start today and it hydro locked (oil), pulled plugs and turned it over, heaps of oil shot from both holes. Could both inner crank seals blown at the same time? Or is it likely to be Rotary Shaft seal? Whats the best way to diagnose this without tools for leak test? Cheers!

There isn't any good way to diagnose the inner seals. I would just clear the engine, and see how long it takes to fill again. Most of the time, its just a problem when it sits for a few months. If that's the case, then it will run fine all summer. If its bad, the only real solution will be to swap the engine(s) for rebuilds.

Oh... and yes... its common for both crank seals to give out. Basically, if you park it wet, you will form a little rust on the crank. Then when you run it... you will wear the lip off the seals.

If they are the issue. You can clamp the oil lines during storage to prevent flooding the engines with oil. I suggest hanging your lanyard on the clamps to prevent starting the engines with the lines clamped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers guys!

Ok, so now I've been attempting to clear the engine of oil - what is the best way of achieving this? Should I just keep cranking (in bursts) until no oil is coming through the plug holes? Or is there a more efficient way by siphoning with a hose through somewhere? I've been trying with the cranking method but am still getting too much oil coming up (heavy(ish) mist). Also should I pinch the oil lines whilst clearing the engine, or should that not make a difference?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers guys!

Ok, so now I've been attempting to clear the engine of oil - what is the best way of achieving this? Should I just keep cranking (in bursts) until no oil is coming through the plug holes? Or is there a more efficient way by siphoning with a hose through somewhere? I've been trying with the cranking method but am still getting too much oil coming up (heavy(ish) mist). Also should I pinch the oil lines whilst clearing the engine, or should that not make a difference?

Thanks for the help.

Most simply put towels over the spark holes and let it crank...

If you need to charge the battery, it should not be higher than 2.5 amps as that seems to be the magic number without hurting the MPEM.
You can hook up a vehicle to it via jumper cables but do NOT have the vehicle running.

You may want to instal new plugs as this sees to help as well..

Ok. I'll keep on cranking then. Would squirting a small amount of fuel into the cylinders help with getting them to fire?

Ok. I'll keep on cranking then. Would squirting a small amount of fuel into the cylinders help with getting them to fire?

I have seen people do it both ways.

I would not put fuel into the cylinders at least until you get almost no oil. At that point, the fuel you put into the cylinder will help to wash the residual oil.

Then new plugs and see what you get...

Got it going! Putting a thumb over one side helped heaps with getting most the oil out. I then put a few drops of fuel in each side and it started first go. Talk about smoke! Ha ha. Hope the neighbors didn't mind too much.

Thanks guys for the help - much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Got it going! Putting a thumb over one side helped heaps with getting most the oil out. I then put a few drops of fuel in each side and it started first go. Talk about smoke! Ha ha. Hope the neighbors didn't mind too much.
Thanks guys for the help - much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Nice job.
I was wondering what all that smoke was from, I thought a Southern Hemisphere volcano blew or something. :)

Nice job.
I was wondering what all that smoke was from, I thought a Southern Hemisphere volcano blew or something. :)

Ha ha! The volume of smoke was incredible! Never seen anything like it - well from a "functioning" engine anyhow. Hopefully it was a slow leak over the 12 months, and doesn't fill back up over night. Looking forward to stretching her legs out on the water this weekend :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back