Oil Pump or Pre-Mix

Oil Pump or PreMix fuel

• Total voters
Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep the injection.

Seadoo's oil injection is super reliable. I have yet to hear a confirmed report of a pump going bad. Normally, the issues are self induced, because of lack of maintenance. (clogged filter, or broken hoses)

You will use less oil, and have less smoke. And since Seadoo specs out one of the most expensive types of oil... you are better off saving what you can. Not to mention... how are you going to assure a good mix with a 27 gal, or larger tank?????

Now... if you were asking about a Yamaha... that would be a diffident story.

Final thing... even if you get rid if the injection... you still have to leave the tank in the hull, with oil it it, to feed the rotary valve gears... so you really don't gain anything by removing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep the pump. Just like Doc preaches, it is a very reliable system as long as you take care of it. Why waste $$$ on expensive oil by premixing. I will be changing my filters when i uncover the boat this year. Maybe I will do a write on how to change them and add pics. Its easy really.

In a 2 stroke engine the oil injector pump delivers oil injection at a variable rate, meaning it used more oil as it speeds up rpm's. If you go to premix,(40:1 recommended mix) you will use more oil as it has no way to supply just what it needs, and at the same rate being pre-mixed, regardless of rpm. You will also take a chance of fouling spark plugs more often due to too much oil all the time. I have never heard of an injector pump failing and causing a seizure ever. If the cable brakes the pump goes to full pump volume so it will give too much oil but not cause a seizure.

Karl

I stick with the oil pump.

I take the word of others more experienced than myself plus with my own research on the subject of seadoos, I have never seen one person claim that the oil pump has failed on them.

The pump will likely last longer then your boat. If you check your hoses over as part of your pre-run inspection, you won't have issues.

pre mix - for merc 210

I switched to pre mix to avoid any probs on the merc 210 carb - runs great and no worries on problems for me :)

I was worried about what path I should take. New boat (new to me) and I have to replace engine because of oil starvation according to the previous owner. The mechanic said that he replaced the oil lines after the fact and just tried to keep it running but he said there was too much damage. I just want to make sure everything is right. So I guess I'll just replace the lines (again), filters and pray.

I switched to pre mix to avoid any probs on the merc 210 carb - runs great and no worries on problems for me :)

Wellllll............. That's not really a seadoo engine. Sure, BRP makes it... and it was in the seadoo boats for a few years... but it's a different beast. On that boat... I may go to pre-mix too.

I was worried about what path I should take. New boat (new to me) and I have to replace engine because of oil starvation according to the previous owner. The mechanic said that he replaced the oil lines after the fact and just tried to keep it running but he said there was too much damage. I just want to make sure everything is right. So I guess I'll just replace the lines (again), filters and pray.

Check the nipples going into the engine. If it was back firing, it could have cooked oil in them... and plugged them off. Also, change the filter.

If the engine is dead... do a pump test. It is outlined in the service manual. You basically spin the pump with a drill, and measure the output.

Finally... the mechanic says the it was oil starved. How does he know? Did he find something, or did he just take a guess??

Since you are putting in a new engine... I would drain all the oil from the tank, and refill it with an approved API-TC oil. A lot of people get cheap, and use TC-w3 outboard oil in their skis, and the engine just won't last on that oil.

Check the nipples going into the engine. If it was back firing, it could have cooked oil in them... and plugged them off. Also, change the filter.

If the engine is dead... do a pump test. It is outlined in the service manual. You basically spin the pump with a drill, and measure the output.

Finally... the mechanic says the it was oil starved. How does he know? Did he find something, or did he just take a guess??

Since you are putting in a new engine... I would drain all the oil from the tank, and refill it with an approved API-TC oil. A lot of people get cheap, and use TC-w3 outboard oil in their skis, and the engine just won't last on that oil.

Good to know, I was just going to top off the tank with synthetic and just use that from now on.

Good to know, I was just going to top off the tank with synthetic and just use that from now on.

That's EXTREEMLY BAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you don't know EXACTLY what oil is in the tank... you could wind up with a dead engine. 2-stroke oils don't mix well, and you could wind up with an oil tank that looks like it is full of Jello.

Ummm ... where are the oil filters? :confused:

It is in the hose between the pump and the tank.

Ummm ... where are the oil filters? :confused:

Just follow the hose off the bottom of the tank. There is 2 of them. They are like 11 bucks. When it warms up, I plan on doin a little how to write up on how to inspect the injection system and change the filters.

That's EXTREEMLY BAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you don't know EXACTLY what oil is in the tank... you could wind up with a dead engine. 2-stroke oils don't mix well, and you could wind up with an oil tank that looks like it is full of Jello.

Say the previous owner comes back and says it is the mineral oil should I just continue using the mineral oil or drain and fill with synthetic? Also beside draining the tank is there more that can be done to purge the system of all other oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back