Oil pump lines

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Just rebuilt lower and upper end, on a 717 gs
I have some concerns about the oil flow at first startup, do I need to prime oil pump line somehow, do not want to damage engine.If so can you send a pic, this is my first time with a 717, bought it and it was in complete piece, hope I have those 3 lines going to right engine connects, I used the manual, but had some problems, being in right section, exhaust section same problem with lines connection.

Thanks for motiving me to look at my videos. I found this video charging the oil lines on a 951 DI. Much more information so I published it to Youtube. :D Good Luck !! Doing the videos and improvising the camera and all that is always a trick for me. Ha ha

951 Oil Line Charging Video

Last edited:
You can also start the engine, reach down and hold the oil lever wide open, you should see the 2 small 3/32 oil lines going to the intake fill with oil. That’s it. I always mix my fuel in the tank at 50:1 along with the oil injection until I’m positive the oil Injection is working properly, this isn’t required though.

And all the 2 stroke oil you put on everything during the rebuild will provide enough lubrication till the oil from the lines gets there

For oil lines, I like to fill the line up first, then hook it to the fitting on engine. I leave a small air bubble in the line close to the oil pump so when I start it I can see the small air bubble move. Of course you need to bleed out the pump as well

You can also start the engine, reach down and hold the oil lever wide open, you should see the 2 small 3/32 oil lines going to the intake fill with oil. That’s it. I always mix my fuel in the tank at 50:1 along with the oil injection until I’m positive the oil Injection is working properly, this isn’t required though.
Will it run OK, with oil mix in gas tank, while oil be injected in from oil pump

I know people that run oil injection AND premix to the tank as a general practice. If you have a rebuilt engine (not fuel injected) I always run about 50:1 mixture in the first tank in addition to the oil pump. I like to prime the oil system while the engine is on the table and accessible. That way I can see and easily address any problems. I trust "nothing" ever. LOL Good Luck !!

Note: I have had to charge the lines with the engine in the ski. It isn't too bad but easier on the bench.

Will it smoke allot, I also agree, better be safe than ruin an engine
It will run fine, it will be a little smoky especially tv upon start up but once the engine is warmed up you won’t even notice. I always run a little extra oil in the tank of my GTI as a little experiment to see if I can make it last longer and I’ve never even fouled a plug. If you only put a quarter or a half a tank of premix, once you are positive the injection is working properly, then you can just fill the tank with straight gas which will bring the pre mix to around 100:1

I forgot you rebuilt this engine, yes just run that entire tank of 50:1 premix along with the oil injection. Once your down to about 1/2 tank just add straight fuel if your confident injection is working. You should also search up heat cycling for the break in period. I’m not sure exactly how it goes, but something like run it 10 minutes in the water, then 10 minute break, run 20 minutes, 20 minute break. Keep the throttle under 3/4 for the first tank but vary the throttle, don’t just hold it at 3/4

Back