Oil Leaking in Bilge - 98 Sporster 1800 twin Bombardier Engines

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjkehres

Last summer I started to get a significan amount of oil in the bilge. Yesterday, I ruled out leaking at the 2-cycle oil tank. I am bruised, scratched, battered, and sore after removing the air filters and trying to get down and tighten the hose clamps. It was almost impossible but I got about 1 turn on the larger and harder to reach hoses which seemed to be the source of the leaks. The other smaller hoses have a crimped style hose clamp and did not seem to be the source.

There are two hoses on the starboard side of each engine under the air cleaner and one on the port side. The port tubes seem to go back to the top of the tank. What is the purpose of each tube?

Is there a better way to access these oil feed tubes or do you have to pull the engine to get at the larger of the two starboard oil feed hoses?

What are the clear/white plastic items in the feed tubes between the tank and engine? Filters? Do they need maintenance?

Is there danger of not getting enough oil to the oil pump and engine because of these leaks?

To answer your 3rd question. those white things are probably inline oil filters. These can ONLY be bought OEM at a dealer, about $11-$14 each.
Do not use an inline fuel filter for these. If you have never changed them then do it this season ASSAP.

With that said, (to quote Dr. Honda), It's a great idea to also install inline fuel filters on each motor. About a foot from the carbs is a good spot.
Use a Fram G2 big fatty filter....clear so you can see the fuel flowing.

This may help you:
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?33749-How-To-Adding-an-in-line-filter

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same boat and I have one feed line seeping/leaking also. The big zip ties does seem to work to well so I will replace with screw clamp also. To answer your questions here the port side lines are return lines for the rotary valve. The stardbord side are feed lines 1 for the oil pump the other for the rotary valve.

The inline filters are oil filters. They should be repacled every few years so your oil lines/pump do get clogged. When you swap them out you need to bleed the system and add some oil to your gas incase you get an air bubble in line you missed and you don't loose an engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back