Oil in cylinders

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Lee

I have a 96 GTX 787. I went to start it up after sitting for some time and found the cylinders were full of oil. Before its last use it was smoking and fouling plugs so the signs were there.
Is this an oil adjusment or internal problem? I noticed on some of the discussions that people are removing the oil pumps and premixing - is this an option with this problem and if so what is the mix ratio as well as anything else I should know.
Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Bad rotary gear seals. you can pull the plugs, and crank it over, and blow the oil out, and ride it, some, but she will probably get worse.

To fix the seals, you have to pull the crankshaft. Most folk just go to SBT and get a rebuilt.

Sorry. It is not real good news.

N

I can understand if the metal shim plates that are located on the crank itself, if they wear out in the grooves, where there're located, get worn out, but if the oil is get'n to the cylinders, ONLY by the rotary valve seal itself, then why not replace the seal only. Of course, you still need to split the case, but if know how, wouldn't it be logical to spend the 5 buks, verses new motor???:confused:

Split crank?....

If your rotary seals are leaking (and yours sounds like the case) then you'll need to pull the crank. The seals are put on while the crank is in two pieces. So, you can't just pull and replace.

If the rotary seals are shot, it's only a matter of time before it's all got to be replaced anyway. The leaking seals are a sign of "old age" on the motor or abuse (like running it out of oil).

Welcome to the seadoo forum David Lee. I believe that what Nate was referring to is if the Rotary valve seals are bad, and they need replacing it will be expensive to have a shop pull the engine and replace the seals. It involves pulling the engine, splitting the cases and pulling the crank to do the repair. If your mechanically inclined and have done this before than it's no big deal...if you never had an engine apart, then it is a big job for a first timer. If it is real bad and is fouling plugs all the time it is getting close to being repaired. Most repair shops can charge up words of $500.00..closer to $1000.00 from what other members claim. The seal sells for like $5.00 as timmy says, but the labor is expensive. A rebuild engine can sell around $1000.00 or less and is just needed to be installed. It can save you some time but it still isn't that cheap, but if your going to tear the engine down, why put back an old worn out engine with just new Rotary seals? These are the choices.

Karl

Welcome to the seadoo forum David Lee. I believe that what Nate was referring to is if the Rotary valve seals are bad, and they need replacing it will be expensive to have a shop pull the engine and replace the seals. It involves pulling the engine, splitting the cases and pulling the crank to do the repair. If your mechanically inclined and have done this before than it's no big deal...if you never had an engine apart, then it is a big job for a first timer. If it is real bad and is fouling plugs all the time it is getting close to being repaired. Most repair shops can charge up words of $500.00..closer to $1000.00 from what other members claim. The seal sells for like $5.00 as timmy says, but the labor is expensive. A rebuild engine can sell around $1000.00 or less and is just needed to be installed. It can save you some time but it still isn't that cheap, but if your going to tear the engine down, why put back an old worn out engine with just new Rotary seals? These are the choices.

Karl

Yah that, :agree:...its not what I say, its what I mean..:rofl:.....
perfect Karl....:cheers:

Oil Seal

Oil getting into the cylinders might not be the fault of the seals on the crankshaft. It might just be the single seal on the rotary shaft. You have to remove the rotary shaft in order to replace the seal but you don't have to remove and disassemble your engine. I always replace this seal and see if it fixes the problem of oil getting into the engine. It fixes about 50% of them. Make sure the rotary shaft isn't bent while you have it out. It's not uncommon to see a bent shaft which explains why the seal went bad to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back