Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

quacked1up

Hi all,
I am new to the forum and new to sea doo ownership. I bought 2 sea doos and a trailer that were sitting near a tree that was struck by lightning. 95xp and 96 gti.
I know that with most vehicles with cdi boxes that the cdi is usually the problem. I had a Polaris that I was able to run test with an ohm meter and volt meter. can anyone steer me to if and how to test these?
Thanks

We need skittle more info here. Do the skis power up with key on? Will they turn over? Can you hit start with no key on and do the gauges light up?

What exactly is the issue?

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

Ok guys I must be an idiot because I don't have a clue where the key or on switch is on this thing. my Polaris turned its self on when you turned the engine over. I cant get this to do anything. I can get the engine to turn over by putting power straight to the starter cable. any help would be appreciated.

If your skis have the DESS system, no matter how much or how you get them to crank, they will not start. Do you have the lanyards for the skis?

Yes both have lanyards, the 95 xp looks like a push button when its removed and the 96 gti looks like a metal dot in the center and metal ring around the side.

the 96 is a DESS, the 95 is the old style. The DESS ski MUST have a programed lanyard that is digitally tied to the MPEM. Going to re-read your post,,,

I think the mpem that is in it now is an after market that he bought online. I have the original I could put back in if need be.

Ok,, there is no KEY or SWITCH. You will have a push type START/STOP button as well as the lanyard. As we are working on 2 skis. Lets use the years as identifiers so we can follow this better.

Make sure you have a KNOW GOOD battery..
If you put the lanyards onto their posts, what happens when you press the START BUTTON.
Also, on the 96, when the lanyard is snapped onto the DESS POST, do you hear any beeps?

Answer these and we will go from there.

Beepers go bad all the time, so that could nothng.
I know you did a version to make it crank earlier, but I'd like you to jump the solenoid and see if it cranks?

Ok I have 12.5 volts and if I jump across the 2 post on the starter relay it will crank. I used a volt meter and have voltage to the coil wire. the start stop button doesn't do anything.
so what should I do now?

Ok I have 12.5 volts and if I jump across the 2 post on the starter relay it will crank. I used a volt meter and have voltage to the coil wire. the start stop button doesn't do anything.
so what should I do now?

Engine start/stop switch verification;
Disconnect the Yellow/Red wire of the start/stop switch. Using an ohmmeter, connect test probes to the Yellow/Red wire and to ground. Measure resistance, it must be an open circuit (switch is normally open). Depress and hold switch, the ohmmeter should read close to “0” ohm.

checked the yellow/red wire and had open resistance. pressed start/stop and it went to about 60 ohms (digital meter was always changing but around that range) don't notice the gauges do anything. Now what?
Thanks for being patient with this newby

I have another (aftermarket?) MPEM. The original owner had bought it and couldn't get it to do anything so I looked at the oem and found the 5 amp fuse to be toast. I swapped it back with a new fuse and that is where this thread starts.
Any Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back