New to this forum and seadoo's

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

72specialized

I live in Newcastle Ontario, Canada and have recently put a deposit on a 2000 Seadoo challenger 15' twin engine. I'm excited for spring, to go and see the boat and to water test it. I've only seen photos of the boat so far and it looks like it has been meticulously maintained. The current owner just redid all the decals on the boat to give you an idea.
Being new to Seadoo boats, what are some of the items I should be keeping an eye out for when I go to see the boat for the first time?
I look forward to learning new information and to participate in this forum. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully you can get your deposit returned if your inspection doesn't go well, or renegotiate the sales price. The cardinal rule is before accepting ownership of a running turn-key boat of any type at least 30 minutes of operation in water at various speeds is necessary for confirming the condition. This is b/c running the engines on the trailer out of water usually will not indicate if there is a problem.

Also, you should check the cylinder compression of both engines to confirm their condition before launching the boat, and inspect the wiring and control cable systems for signs of wear.

You'll need to take some tools such as a compression tester, a known good starting battery (in case owner cannot demonstrate a startup on the existing battery), spark plug socket set, misc wrenches, and a flashlight for inspecting inside the jet pumps for debris damage and wear.

If you cannot do all of this, you're at great risk if paying full price for a boat in running condition. Yes, the owner may have replaced the decals but this doesn't necessarily mean he has done anything other than polish the cosmetics for a quick winter sale.

A couple of remanufactured engines and jet pump replacements can easily double your "onto the water" price tag.

Thank you so much for the good advice. To see inside the jet pumps for debris, damage and wear, I'm assuming I basically shine a flashlight up the jet nozzles at the stern?

Your looking for damage to the edges of the impellers. You need to check compression of all the cylinders of both engines. This can tell you the condition of the engines. Look at the spark plugs when you pull them. Deposits on them could mean too much blow by. Look inside the engine compartment. look for leaks, smell of gas and oil streaks. Ask if oil filter is changed every season.

Greatly appriciate all the great advice. Next job on my list is to find out how to do a compression test!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good advice...these twin engine boats and nickle and dime you to death.

Welcome to the best Seadoo site on the planet! Let me know if I can help further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back