New owner. Couple questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

ininomis

New owner. Bought my new to me 1996 challeneger a month ago. Had it out on the water twice. First time plenty of power got up to speed quickly. Second time no power and lots of exhaust smoke. White/grey smoke and no power. Half throttle is all she will do. No power past half throttle. Changed spark plugs and wires. Drained gad and oil and refilled. Pulled plugs and ran a compression test. Reading 140 fromt and back. Looked on this forum and seeing alot leading to wear ring. What are your thoughts. I have a local seadoo dealer. Should I take it down for a complete overhaul. This has been my dream boat since a little kid and want it running right.

That's what everything I've read has said. Thank you. Anything else I should look at for?
The first time you were out, if you were in shallow water or even water with debris floating around you could have picked something up in your pump. I’d first go under the boat and look in the gate for anything at all obstructing. A little stick or even a leaf stuck in there would cause this. Happened to me last fall while out after the leaves fell. I picked a few up and had the exact thing happen.

If you see no obstructions in the gate under the boat, lift the rear gate, and look in the pump at the wear ring for major scoring, scratches or other damage. You can also put a light on one side and look through the other to see the gap. You want as little gap as possible around the impeller and little to no scoring.

Thankfully if you do find damage the replacement process isn’t that bad and the wear ring is cheap.

Back