New to the Seadoo World

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

foulon11

hey all. i pretty much grew up out on the water and decided it was time for me to get something of my own. i just picked up a 1999 xp limited. it was sitting for 2 years and when i put a new battery in it and some good gas it fired right up and i took it for a quick spin and everything seemed to run right. im new to the jetski world. what would yall recommend doing before the season starts to get the ski ready for the season. thanks

Welcome to the forum and that ski looks pretty clean. You really want to replace the gray fuel lines if they have not been. They will break down with the new ethanol fuels and clog the filters inside the carbs and lean out and waste the engine. Remove and break down and clean the carbs. Grease the carrier bearing in the back hatch. Change the pump oil. And unless you know what oil the previous owner used an API-TC rated oil you'll want to drain and replace that and change the in line filter to the pump. There also should be a water separator that should be checked, cleaned and carefully put back together and replace the o-ring when doing so. I think that gets you must of it. Others will chime in I'm sure.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Welcome to forums.

To start,
Change out all old grey fuel lines to new automotive black fuel line with stainless steel clamps.

Rob

Welcome to a great community! I would do everything that was said above and change the spark plugs aswell, always keep a set of plugs on the ski at all times since they might foul.

Grey Fuel lines are an engine KILLER. As noted above, if you have them, replace them. Not much is required to get the season going. Look for any leak lines, with 2-strokes the oil tank is a common issue. The lower grommet is a major leak area and the seam is the second most common leak area.

Charge the battery, (do not jump start the ski, can easily damage the MPEM), fire it up at home. This will tell you that all is good b4 you hit the ramp.

as far as the body what would you recommend to get the decals off? and what to use to bring the yellow back to life?

Gel coat oxidation can be sanded/compound polished away as the gel coat is quite thick. Then, keeping it waxed helps keep air from oxidizing the gel coat.

I peeled some of the decals off my boat in the warm sun, a hairdryer might not overheat and damage gel coat if you're careful. That and perhaps some decal remover solvent or a 3M rubber wheel for really stubborn decals in bad condition.

If the engine doesn't run correctly like it's starving for fuel, clean the carbs by removing them for disassemble/rebuild, gray Tempo fuel lines are bad news b/c they decay internally and plug the carbs with junk. A 2-stroke engine running lean of fuel will roast the pistons, if it's running strong you're probably okay with just replacing the fuel lines but if you remove the carbs then may as well take them apart and clean them internally, and replace the metering needle/seat set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back