New to me as-is 1995 SP - Worth it?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest it is a liability. The tank is an easy swap through the storage compartment. You can leave the lines connected to the fuel baffle, take the straps off and leave the oil tank in place. Just button it up, keep your tank out drive it up there and let them do the work. For what they get paid labor wise to do it from BRP, they will lose money. Let them lose their money and you get your new tank. Just tell them it's going to be a month or so and you'd like to come back and wait while they do the swap. Walking out threatening to sue was probably the worst thing you could have done, not to mention you wouldn't have a leg to stand on since you know that the tank is defective and they have a tank there married to your HIN.

To be honest it is a liability. The tank is an easy swap through the storage compartment. You can leave the lines connected to the fuel baffle, take the straps off and leave the oil tank in place. Just button it up, keep your tank out drive it up there and let them do the work. For what they get paid labor wise to do it from BRP, they will lose money. Let them lose their money and you get your new tank. Just tell them it's going to be a month or so and you'd like to come back and wait while they do the swap. Walking out threatening to sue was probably the worst thing you could have done, not to mention you wouldn't have a leg to stand on since you know that the tank is defective and they have a tank there married to your HIN.

I agree - it is a liability. My point was that they have liability either way; whether I install it or whether the old tank is not replaced. Not accepting a solution to eliminate a known defective tank is a higher level of liability than accepting a solution where they could easily note "customer installed" which would absolve them of any installation related liability.

BTW - They were the ones that first brought up the discussion of me suing (which struck me as a bit odd). I only promised to sue for a different scenario, to make my point that they have liability either way so why make me bring in a jet ski under the premise that they are concerned about liability? Particularly given the level of work that I am doing on the jet ski. Again, it was a promise, not a threat.

I am not seeing how this was the worse thing I could have done - I will not be using them for anything moving forward... ever, so no harm there. I have contacted 2 other sources and they checked - it still shows as not completed so I can still proceed using others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Addicted is right, and I have not even ridden mine yet:) I am stalking CL daily looking for deals. If I only had a bigger garage!

Be careful with that Craigslist stuff, you might end up like me: the list of skis to the left, 3 single trailers, 2 roll-around carts, 3 extra engines (2 not turning) with most accessories, nothing in the water yet, but less than $1500 invested. At least I have over a half-acre to hide stuff and San Diego County so I do not need to deal with a lot of nasty weather ... just wildfires.

Good luck and have fun.

Rod

Be careful with that Craigslist stuff, you might end up like me: the list of skis to the left, 3 single trailers, 2 roll-around carts, 3 extra engines (2 not turning) with most accessories, nothing in the water yet, but less than $1500 invested. At least I have over a half-acre to hide stuff and San Diego County so I do not need to deal with a lot of nasty weather ... just wildfires.

Good luck and have fun.

Rod

LOL - that is my approach too!! More on that next week.

The engine and pump are now back in. Still need to re-install the exhaust, tanks, and misc cables and hoses.

Regarding engine alignment, the tool is worth it. Initially I eyeballed the engine so that I thought it was in the same place as when I removed it. Then stuck the alignment tool up my jetski's tuckus. The engine was at least 1/4" to port and also too low. Granted some of this would have been apparent when installing the shaft, but I am now convinced the alignment tool (or something reasonably similar) is needed.

[Edit:] Another thing that convinced me the alignment tool is a necessity was that I had to add a few shims beyond what was initially in the jet ski.

Nice test...how quickly it wears also depends on how off it is and how much its greased.
and presumably the condition of the rubber thingies that go in each end. Everything is nice and greased now, but one end was not prior to this. It was rusty, but not worn.

My replacement gas tank came in (no thanks to the local dealer, I might add) and is now installed along with the clean oil tank, oil filter, in line gas filter, a clean primary gas filter and new lines. I put some oil in the tank and all seems to be good. No oil leaks. I still need to bleed the oil pump though.

I also cleaned it up a bit using Collinite 920 Fiberglass Cleaner. That stuff works great - it made easy work of getting the black crud off. I have not yet waxed anything and already it shines like it is wet.

Next weekend I hope to put the exhaust back on and try firing 'er up. I'll be using non-ethanol gas with some oil added for break-in per posts on this forum. Anything else I should consider before pushing the red button?

Last weekend I barely found time to get the exhaust back on. I never got around to connecting up the carb linkage and fueling it up. That came this weekend. After several start cycles and re-gapping the plugs, she fired up. Sweet!! I only ran it for about 10 seconds since it was not in the water. That will come next along with a diligent break-in process.

I can now answer my own question from my initial post - Worth it?

Hell, yeah!!

I took my '95 SP out this weekend for its maiden relaunch voyage. While I successfully resisted anything but what is recommended in the break-in procedures on this forum, and never took it above 50% throttle, it was enough to know that it was running well. It was a blast!!! I was grinin' from ear to ear.

Thank you very much to all of the experienced members that offered input as I learned my way around Sea Doos. Undoubtedly, the help provided by this forum got this done right the first time. I'll post pics once I am done painting and re-installing the hood. Teal is not the easiest color to match (or like :) )

I'll report back in a few months on the engine, but so far, I am very happy with the results I got from SES. Next will be to tackle the yellow XPs.

This weekend I also built much of a 8'x10' floating dock that I'll use to store two jet-skis when they are not on a trailer. I plan to call the dock "2-Doo Island", my SP will be called "Grandma", and one of my XPs will be called "My Banana". Somewhat fitting names, but the real reason being that I want to see people's reaction when I ask if they would rather ride Grandma or My Banana?

I can now answer my own question from my initial post - Worth it?

Hell, yeah!!

.......This weekend I also built much of a 8'x10' floating dock that I'll use to store two jet-skis when they are not on a trailer. I plan to call the dock "2-Doo Island", my SP will be called "Grandma", and one of my XPs will be called "My Banana". Somewhat fitting names, but the real reason being that I want to see people's reaction when I ask if they would rather ride Grandma or My Banana?

I love those names, hope you have a camera handy if you ever get to say that.

BTW, nice job on the restore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back