New to jet skis with some questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

doberdann1019

I just bought my first jet ski, a 1997 Seadoo XP and have a few things I would like to do to it:

-re-cover the seat
-replace the traction mats
-replace the rubber start button
-restore the faded hull

I was also thinking of stripping all the decals and polishing the whole body.

Any advice on any of this would be appreciated!

Finally, read a bit about grey fuel lines, my machine has grey lines, is this a bad thing?

Thanks for the help!

Hi & Welcome to the forum.
YES the gray lines are Verrrry bad. They clog up very easily with the E-gas that's now sold. Replace all with black auto lines and add an in-line filter too.
Try Watercraftsuperstore or Hydro-turf for the new mats, Seat cover. The start/stop button is $2.10 at SBT/watercraftsuperstore

Thanks, I will definitely replace those fuel lines then. The guy who sold it to mo said that they were replaced but at the time I did not know about which color was good and bad. I might give him a call.

As to the button, I just ordered it. Do you know if it is tricky to install?

If the fuel lines have the word "TEMPO" on the lines, they definitely need replacing.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I will definitely replace those fuel lines then. The guy who sold it to mo said that they were replaced but at the time I did not know about which color was good and bad. I might give him a call.

As to the button, I just ordered it. Do you know if it is tricky to install?

Easy to install the button.....just a small screwdriver or a pick to pull it out then press it in to reinstall. Some people take the whole thing apart but it's not necessary.

the button is not difficult, take a small flat screwdriver and pry out the old one, it will pop out of the groove. Clean out any old rubber residue that is in the groove from the old one. Then just work the new one back into the same groove, I put a little WD 40 on it so it slips in the groove easy.

IMG-20130219-00372_zps52303b71.jpg

Your will also want to do your small oil lines going from your pump to the intake. 3/32 tygon is the best for this.

417.jpg

Also when changing out the fuel lines you will need to clean or replace the selector switch as well.

418.jpg

The Rave valves should also be clean annually at minimum.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?37588-How-to-service-Rave-Valve-Pictorial

419.jpg

420.jpg

Jet pump oil should be changed annually, remove the nozzle, take the cone off, clean out the cone, check the oil ring seal, reinstall cone and fill with 3 oz 75w90 synthetic oil.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?19338-How-to-change-your-jet-pump-oil!-(with-pictures)

308.jpg

309.jpg

I am debating removing the engine so I can get better access to everything for cleaning and maybe some paint. As expected for a 16 year old machine the hull is pretty dirty and I want to replace most of the rubber goods. The new list for work includes:

-clean out impeller
-clean inside hull
-replace oil
-clean rave valves
-clean carbs
-replace grey fuel lines
-replace fuel selector switch
-replace oil lines
-replace rubber start/vts buttons
-replace traction mats
-replace seat cover
-replace handle bar grips

The aesthetic things are a low priority. I have never worked on jet skis before, this is my first, but I am pretty good with mechanical/electrical stuff and can figure most stuff out.

Anyone think removing the engine would be a bad idea? I do not plan on getting into the pistons or anything.

I would not remove it for the sake of cleaning. In order to reinstall the engine you will need to buy or rent an engine alignment tool to make sure it is all aligned. $75 to rent $150 to buy plus shipping.

Once your exhaust, and carbs are out of the way it should not be to bad to get the hull cleaned up.

If I want to run the jet ski a bit in my garage is all I have to be sure to do is hook up a water supply to the inlet nozzle on the back of the ski?

It was winterized but was ran last week by the guy I bought it from. I guess it was "fogged" (whatever that is) so I was smoking a lot.

If I want to run the jet ski a bit in my garage is all I have to be sure to do is hook up a water supply to the inlet nozzle on the back of the ski?
It was winterized but was ran last week by the guy I bought it from. I guess it was "fogged" (whatever that is) so it was smoking a lot.

That's basically it, but remember that water will come out the jet & the pee hole so leave room for it to drain.
Don't run it for more than a minute or two on the hose as the carbon ring is not getting cooled.

Do not turn the hose on until the engine is running or you will flood the engine with water. There needs to be pressure from the engine running in order to move the water through and out the exhaust.
do in this order

1) Start engine
2) water ON
3)water OFF
4) Engine OFF

As Seadoobuddy mentioned, be careful not to heat up the carbon ring to much, If you need to run it for more then a couple minutes have a squirt bottle with some soapy water and spray the carbon ring every 15-30 seconds. The arrow shows where to squirt.

516.jpg

It was winterized but was ran last week by the guy I bought it from. I guess it was "fogged" (whatever that is) so I was smoking a lot.

"Fogging" is spraying fogging oil into the air box/carbs while the engine is running which coats inside the engine so it doesnt rust up inside while sitting over the winter. The first time you start a fogged engine, it will put out tons of smoke for a couple minutes as the oil burns off, so don't panic when you see the smoke.

Kicker - looks like your drive shaft is a couple inches too short :)

Thanks for all the help, I do not plan on running it very long at all. And I will be sure to keep an eye on the carbon ring.

Kicker - looks like your drive shaft is a couple inches too short :)

Kicker and Jake, I was thinking the same thing until I realized the motor is not on the motor mounts :).... Your hose is too short too :)
Anyways is that some duct tape on the tip on the one bottom zip tie??????

Kicker and Jake, I was thinking the same thing until I realized the motor is not on the motor mounts :).... Your hose is too short too :)
Anyways is that some duct tape on the tip on the one bottom zip tie??????

Actually I am not sure what that is on the tye wrap. I dont remember duct tape being on there.

Story of my life, "always a couple inches short"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back