New RXT-X255's Owner, some advice please ?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richpor1

Hello all,

I have just purchased a pair (one 08 and one 09) of these fantastic machines. I sold my GSX-RFI after my divorce and finally got a new lakefront property and some new water toys!!! WOOHOO!!!

The 09 just had the impeller and wear ring done and runs like a top - 73MPH flat out, no issues, new VTS trim, and the SC was rebuilt (on both about 50 hours ago)....

The 08 'aint so good. I just pulled the pump off and the impeller is trashed (it would only do 63MPH and has a serious groan - cavitated out of the hole too).

Each has about 120 hours on it, new starter buttons and they look like they were taken care of, clean, no cracks, never beached, etc...even came with a double beach trailer...

Here's where i need the advice.

#1 I'm about 99% sure the pump bearing is shot as it's not smooth at all and i can feel it's just not right - I'm assuming it should turn smooth as butter, right? Do i need to get a shop to press in the bearing and shaft, or can i do this myself - i'd rather not give the dealer $1000 to "rebuild" my pump when it took me all of 20 mins to pull it apart and changing the impeller and wear ring looks like a joke.

#2 Pitch - I see "Solas" impellers on line (the whole kit) for under $300 and was told that a 14/19 pitch was best for a stock unit - I don't want to start a whole thread about impeller pitch, but does that seem right to all of you? I've watched a dozen vids and this seems like a fairly easy and common task to change it out.

#3 - Steering cable - the 09 is smooth as butter, while the 08 was very stiff. I've isolated it to the cable and shot some oil down the "handlebar" side - seems to have made it much better - is there a special lube meant for this, and does anyone have any better ideas than oil? Is this a common problem?

#4 Loose bolts - the four Allen head bolts that hold the handle bar plate to the hull are loose - on both - i'm assuming this is not by design and just a lack of maintenance?

#5 Winterizing - i have a hose and a spigot on a bucket that i have filled with RV antifreeze and connected to the intake at the back of the jet pump, i ran the unit till it came out of the back end of the pump. Is that all there is to winterizing the unit? do i need to "fog" the motor?

#6 Superchargers - how often should i have them rebuilt, is there any normal maintenance i can do with them so i don't need to rebuild them?

#7 Filters? - I have two cylindrical paper filters that were given to me along with all the other kit - any idea what they might be for? they are roughly 8" long and 3" wide...

I had always taken my GSX-RFI in for winterizing and service every year (ten years, never an issue with that rocket sled). Am i missing anything here? Also, why did my GSX feel SOOOOO much faster out of the hole. These are my first 4 stroke boats....

Sorry for the long winded post, but i want to take care of these babies right and welcome any input and advice!

Attachments

• IMG_20180927_1214577.jpg
    IMG_20180927_1214577.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG-20180923-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20180923-WA0001.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 8
There is 4 page explanation of storage procedures for your skis in the service manual with extra steps if it is to be stored below a certain temperature (winterization) followed then by a preseason preparation.
Suggest you download service manual.
The most important maintenance item for your superchargers is that you run and change with the correct oil and intervals outlined in your service manual.
200 hours or two years on the rebuild is the general consensus. Not sure if your 2008 ECM monitors your superchargers. It will throw a maintenance required light if it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back