New Owner '96 GTX

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Honeylo

I knew nothing about what to look for when I went shopping. Thought that a small one for about $1k would be a nice toy. The seller did some hot dogging while demonstrating a beat up 2-seater, which led me to ask how hard it would be to climb back on after falling off. Glad I asked, since I'm 73 years old. Good shape for that age, but still! Seller was honest and said it could be quite difficult--maybe impossible. So that led me to inquire about the pristine GTX with 42 hours that he had in his private stock. Much more ski than I originally planned, but that's what I ended up with. It's been a great learning experience, using this forum and some YouTube videos to replace Tempo fuel lines, fuel selector, water separator, etc. A test ride showed me that WOT wasn't possible, so off with the carbs to check the fuel strainers. And, yes, as others on this forum have said, they were quite clogged.

Which leads to this morning with calm water on Lake Winnebago (Wis.) and an indicated top speed at WOT of 60 mph. Truly the fastest I have ever traveled on water--by a lot! Question: I only observed about 55 on the analog speedo (if it actually IS analog), but the digital display I consulted later showed the higher top speed. Going that fast, I wasn't keeping my eyes glued on the needle, so it could have indicated 60 at some point, but I wonder how accurate these gauges are. Do the (analog?) and digital readouts use the same sender? Which one is generally more accurate? (I want to brag, but I'd like to be right when I do) Could use GPS on my phone, but I can't imagine trying to do that while cruising WOT.

Until now I had NO IDEA that that these little boats performed like this! And now I'm reading about new ones with 170 and 230 hp and 60 mph in 3.3 seconds.

Thanks to all who contribute to this forum. It's been an invaluable resource.

Your results on the speedometer is normal. That unit will probably do somewhere around 50. Changing pressure slightly in one direction or the other on the handlebars can affect the reading as this makes subtle changes in the way the water runs under the hull and across the little wheel that spins to send the speed to the gauge. They typically read higher than you are actually running.

Last edited:
I knew nothing about what to look for when I went shopping. Thought that a small one for about $1k would be a nice toy. The seller did some hot dogging while demonstrating a beat up 2-seater, which led me to ask how hard it would be to climb back on after falling off. Glad I asked, since I'm 73 years old. Good shape for that age, but still! Seller was honest and said it could be quite difficult--maybe impossible. So that led me to inquire about the pristine GTX with 42 hours that he had in his private stock. Much more ski than I originally planned, but that's what I ended up with. It's been a great learning experience, using this forum and some YouTube videos to replace Tempo fuel lines, fuel selector, water separator, etc. A test ride showed me that WOT wasn't possible, so off with the carbs to check the fuel strainers. And, yes, as others on this forum have said, they were quite clogged.

Which leads to this morning with calm water on Lake Winnebago (Wis.) and an indicated top speed at WOT of 60 mph. Truly the fastest I have ever traveled on water--by a lot! Question: I only observed about 55 on the analog speedo (if it actually IS analog), but the digital display I consulted later showed the higher top speed. Going that fast, I wasn't keeping my eyes glued on the needle, so it could have indicated 60 at some point, but I wonder how accurate these gauges are. Do the (analog?) and digital readouts use the same sender? Which one is generally more accurate? (I want to brag, but I'd like to be right when I do) Could use GPS on my phone, but I can't imagine trying to do that while cruising WOT.

Until now I had NO IDEA that that these little boats performed like this! And now I'm reading about new ones with 170 and 230 hp and 60 mph in 3.3 seconds.

Thanks to all who contribute to this forum. It's been an invaluable resource.

I have a 97' GTX, same ski basically, yeah it'll read 60 or even higher, mine is showing 63 peak right now. But..realistically if you were to GPS it, when it's running in top shape 53-55 is pretty consistent, at least that's what I've discovered the few times I've pulled the phone out and did a check. The atmosphere or climate has an impact, when I'm on the upper end of 6700 pushing right at 6800, I know I'm traveling about 55, on the bottom end of 6700 on a smoking hot day I'll see about 53.

Plenty fast enough for me, most of the time I cruise around 40ish anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back