Need some help... picked up a rock :(

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rksnow1

Hey guys... I need some help. Maybe alot of help depending what everyone thinks....small issue and big issue?

I was out on my 98 GTS yesterday trying to diagnose a possible problem. Ski runs great but I only have a slight trickle/weep of water coming out of the cooling system check hole on the back of the ski by the tow hook. I checked the lines, blew out with air and all is clear. Water flows out of the exit hole by the jet fine, and I can see water flowing from the water jacket through the cooling lines fine ... Just trying to figure out if this is a problem.

I have a 90 SP that shoots a solid stream from the check hole, so I figured the 98 GTS should too.. I wanted to catch it before it became a big problem.

NOW the new BIG Problem...

Soon after, I didnt realize how shallow I was and sucked up a golfball sized rock... motor stalled and Ended of my day. Took back to shore and a few hours later got the rock out. Impellor doesnt look bad, little nicked but nothing bent. What did happen was I shredded some type of plactic (baffle or funnel?) between the impellor and the jet output. I dont know what this is called or what it does to replace it. Looks like it help spiral the water flow maybe? Ill atach pictures below too. Any help is appreciated... also I took off the cone on the end so I could turn the shaft. Anyone know what kind of greese or oil I need to refill with.

Hopefully my season is not over.

Thanks
Ray

Attachments

• CIMG0098.jpg
    CIMG0098.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 66
  • CIMG0100.jpg
    CIMG0100.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 38
  • CIMG0101.jpg
    CIMG0101.jpg
    899.9 KB · Views: 44
  • CIMG0102.jpg
    CIMG0102.jpg
    765 KB · Views: 27
  • CIMG0103.jpg
    CIMG0103.jpg
    692.1 KB · Views: 56
Hey man, sorry to hear you're having problems. I'm pretty new around here and don't know too much about the technical aspects of these machines, but a few weeks back our '08 GTX sucked up more than a couple rocks. We wound up having to get a new impeller and a new wear ring. I'm not sure what exactly the wear ring looks like, but maybe that's the problem? Hope you get it figured out!

sorry to hear about the problem man damn

Thouse fins act to spiral the water looks like the fronts are chiped my advise is try and round the ends off the best as possible at the chiped side you still have alot of the fin left so it looks like it wil lstill work fine as for the small cone that you removed at the end of the shaft clean er up reinstall the cone thers a small alan key that will be at the top when you install make shure thats pointing up fill it up with a high peformance non synthetic gear dope you can purchase this at the local auto parts store not to shure if i am 100 % correct but i was told that you dont use synthetic oil if it comes in contact with water correct me if im rong plz someone. fill the cone the turn the drive shafta couple times to realise any traped air and fill full then re install the alan key should be good to go

You need a new wear ring. The plastic in there is the wear ring that was damaged when you sucked up the rock.

Thanks Guys. I was hoping not to have to get the wear ring and replace it but doesnt look like thats the case. :(

Im impatient... Before I got any replies back I tried to round off the plastic burs caused by the rock in hopes that it would work and put it back together.. Didnt think that plastic would make much of a difference...

Took it out for a test run and no luck, only hit about 5 miles per hour even under full throttle, and tons of shake. Looks like Im buying a new wear ring. hope they cheap... Does this sound like a bad wear ring or should I look for another possible culprit before I replace it. Drive shafta appears to be spinning straight and not bent. Any gaskets, seals, or special tools that I need to do the job?

Thanks everyone for the help.:cheers:

It looks like your going to need to replace the impeller too, it's pretty messed up.. You will need a seal for the hull, wear ring, silicone and an impeller removal tool.. You can get all the parts at www.sbtontheweb.com.. I think everyting will be less that $100.00..Ring $35, rebuilt impeller $30.00, seal $5.00 tool $10.00.. Plan on it it taking 4-5 hours to do.. Do a search on wear rings, there are some pretty good write ups on how to do it..

Thanks for the feedback. Great insight. Trying to get my terminology right so bare with me please...

Can someone tell me what the plastic piece is between the impellor and the
?venturi? jet. Looks to be a piece of spiraled plactic... unless the wear ring is just shredded that bad.

I thought this was the wear ring but the pics of the wear ring on the microfiche look to just be a circular ring that goes around the impellor. This ski has a stainless impellor and shaft. So I still dont know what this plastic piece is. Im going to try and tear it down this weekend, was hoping to get all the parts ahead of time and dont want to miss anything.

Thanks

Don't forget to have a small torch on hand to heat the big nut so that the loctite will release. Otherwise you will play heck getting the impeller off. Also don't forget the red loctite for reassembly. Not sure the loctite number, but it will be in your manual.

P.S. The gear oil should be a synthetic sold by your sea doo dealer. It is in your manual. good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
when you look atr the inpeller on the machine the plastick ring that raps around the inpeller is called the wear ring you will need to find where the ring and pump housing conect together and remove the ring. i no what the ring is but not going to clame i no how to get it out maybe someone with some more experience can add a little insight in to this good luck

it looks like the pump housing is chewed up if you change that it comes with the wear ring in it from the dealer and you will need to get the 2 bearings that need to be pressed in to the housing also there is another flat bearing you should change also get the o ring for the pump cone and new oil for the pump and a new solas impeller all in all about $700 in parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back