1996 Seadoo gti issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbn70

Hello.
Just got My Seadoo gti out of storage. And it needs a bit of work before it goes back into the water. Last year it seemed to run ok but once it hit around 3/4 throttle or maybe a bit less it would not really gain any more rpm or speed. I am going to check the timing to see if it is set correctly(I installed a new crank in it and lined up the timing as close as I could to where it was previously). As well it appears that the impeller had a big “wobble” in it. Think the previous owner put a big rock or something through the pump. Could this be causing cavitation at the higher rpm? I know I will be ordering a new Seadoo impellor to remedy that situation. Don’t think it is jetting plugs are dark but not wet when I did a jetting run. What does
Everyone
Think?

Based on my experience, cavitation would cause RPMs to shoot up, not stop.

What is the max rpm you are hitting? Have you checked compression?

Yes, cavitation will cause high RPM but less to no forward speed. It is exactly like a slipping clutch.

Compression is about 140 for each cylinder. From your responses it does not sound like cavitation then

Compression is good. I would fix the impeller then water test again and check rpms to see if you are hitting the max. It should be hitting 7000 rpm (plus / minus 50) per the seadoo manual. If you don't have a tach then test the max speed with a GPS to see were you are at. Should be around 48-50 mph assuming everything is stock and pump is in good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back