Need RFI help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

robrat20

Got my new motor installed, Ran fine and idled fine took it for a water test ran great,ran it for about 5 min. Took it out later that day for a longer water test started right up but was running rough so took it out and went back home now it won't start just turns over if I give it a little throttle it will take off and run a few seconds but then die I do see black smoke coming when I get It to run like that. I did empty the tank and had my injectors tested and cleaned before install any suggestions

[MENTION=49142]griz400[/MENTION]

He's the expert on these

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

Have you changed the spark plugs lately? That's the first thing to do unless you find something else obvious b/c if one is fouled with assembly lube and bits of junk left that's always left over from the reman, it's not going to run well with one (or both) cylinder having no fire.

Is your oil pump adjusted correctly? You could be dumping oil into the cylinders. Fouling plugs, and causing black smoke. Do you have any warnings on the dash?

Second thought - You didn't premix did you? Causes lots of problems in RFI motors.

I have new plugs in it and no warning lights,I lined up the marks on the oil pump so it should be good

The plugs could be badly fouled. A lot of smoke generally means too much oil. Which can foul even new plugs quite quickly, and cause it not to run. Take them out and check them. If they are really black and wet, you have a problem. Wipe them off and try to start again.

Need more info....first check to make sure the compression is still correct thats the first place to start.

Then...how long did it sit for the engine rebuild? The RFI is super sensitive to water. I bought one that did similar things, it ended up having some water in the bottom of the tank. Took the pump out and swabbed it clean, tweaked the TPS and it ran perfect.

I swap motors got a rebuilt motor from a sea doo shop so I got the motor and had it running a few days later. I'll check compression when I get home but when I was checking my plugs I turned it over without them in seen to have good flow coming out but I'll put the gauge on it

Rebuilt motor from a Seadoo shop? Like a Seadoo dealership? Or just a reman from sbt or SES?

96 XP800!

Who did your install and services your injectors? Have your checked fuel pump pressure or anything?

I don't know much about these rfi's just throwing out ideas.

96 XP800!

I did the install and had a company out of NY do the injectors. I have not tested the fuel pump pressure.

I did the install and had a company out of NY do the injectors. I have not tested the fuel pump pressure.

Pull the injector rail and do the leak test...it's in the manual. Though new, pull the plugs and inspect. Earlier this past season my rfi ran great for 10 minutes and went into a bog mode, rough idle and sluggish. I spent many hours checking the various sensors, injectors, replaced fuel pump/filters, etc. I finally replaced the battery though I thought it had sufficient voltage and I monitored during charge and while running. Ran great the rest of the season. RFI's are very dependent on good voltage. I am sure of the other RFI owners will chime in.

Did you figure out what happened to the motor originally. Did the problem get rectified?

After routine checks, fuel, spark, compression etc, my RFI troubleshooting always starts with the battery/rectifier. Even though the engine cranks over does not always mean that there is enough juice there to make it run properly.

After that fuel pressure/flow check. Could be dirty strainers or bad pump.

Then the injectors.

Here's a good read, too bad the thread is closed but there is a lot of good info in here.
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?50814-The-RFI-(Rotax-Fuel-Injection-)-Spot

Yep that will definitely cause a problem get the new pump and new strainers and you should be good to go. You can get them all at advanced auto the part numbers are in the RF I spot thread.

Well it's running and hit 52mph today only thing wrong now is the steering is off and that black nut that goes over the steering rod on the outside to the hulll the threads to the nut have broke off in the hull so got 2 figure out how to fix that now

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back