Need help getting pump out & drive shaft off

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilesgarner

Just bought 96 GTS that froze up 4yrs ago. Bearing at back of pump totally locked up and disintegrated. Drive shaft was locked. Shaft will turn now but can't get the pump off or the entire drive shaft off. As far as I can tell from the shop manual I have from my 93 model all the bolts are out but I can't find what is holding in frozen in place???? Any suggestions?

It's not easy...

I bought two 95 skis last year that had sat for a while.. I had one hell of a time getting the pumps out so here is what I did.. I made a puller, I used a 1" square tube and had 1" 1/4 flat steel plates welded to each end, this should be the width of the nozel where the cone bolts on so you can bolt the puller to the nozel.. The 1" square tube has a 3/4 threaded rod throught the middle of it.. Then I cut a 2x4 and drilled a hole in it and put the 3/4 rod through the center of the 2x4... 2x4 goes up gainst the transom.. Use a couple of large washers between the 2x4 and bolt on the rod.. Turn the nut and the pump should pop out.. Just be sure you have everything lined up straight... I have attached a pic of the puller.. If you need dimms let me know...

Attachments

• Picture 304.jpg
    Picture 304.jpg
    797.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited by a moderator:
I just pulled the pump off a 1996 xp.

The thing that made it easy, was a home made tool suggested by service manual.
The two bars are 15.75 inches with two 3/8 holes 4.75 appart.

5.5 hole 4.75 hole 5.5

This homemade tool uses the 4 bolts that hold the steering part of the pump.

I have not figured out how to remove the shaft because of the metal ring
on the shaft. It's held on with o-rings.

My guess is make another puller or move the motor right or left
by 2 inches. Then pull the drive shaft past the motor and out.

Sorry this is not a complete answer, but this is a great start.

Its not easy

Thanks for the pic and suggestions. I do appreciate your time and advice. What did you find the problem to be with yours? Was the drive shaft salvagable or did you have to replace? What was the impeller shaft like? Don't have ready access to a welding shop for making this kind of tool, so trying to figure out how to go about it without several major trips and cost. Why are the side pieces unequal lengths?

The tool that I made could have been made of wood/
with the holes centered and 4.75 apart.
I like the kiss solution, but had the metal from another hobby.

The bolts that pulled or did the worked will not break the 2x4.

good luck

I used a ratcheting tow strap. Just wrapped one end around the pump and secured the other end. Worked like a charm!

This is the best KISS solution for a puller yet.

I'll give this a 10 out of 10.. Great idea

I'll keep this one in my bag of tricks.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back