Drive Shaft Straightening Video

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
Sorry it doesn't show much but it would be comical how I applied pressure to straighten the shaft. All I had to do was push on it to influence it to get it close then a little persuasion with a dead blow mallet (GENTLY withe finesse'). The shaft is so small and limber we really need to be careful with them. They'll bend for sure with rough handling. To TEST I generally roll the shaft on a nice flat surface to check for a wobble. Not very accurate but you can determine how bad it is and if you need to take action. This particular shaft in the video looked like crap, I was worried that the O-RING area for the sealing ring or HAT, as some call it, had too much damage and that it might not seal correctly (leak). I put the shaft in the lathe to polish that surface and determine if it was acceptable. ON A SIDE NOTE....Not often do I have the correct chuck for the operation in the lathe but for this... it was ready for the job. The lathe made it really easy to polish the shaft and the FIT and O-RING surface was in decent conditon. The shaft wobbled pretty bad (about .070") total indicator reading which is about 1/32" from center. It would have been silly for me not to address the problem so... I accepted the mission. :D I'm happy it came out so good and it only took a few minutes. I don't think condition would have caused "serious" problems in operation but at 6500 RPM I feel better about it. The shaft and pump are assembled and happily inserted in the ski. I am happy also. LOL As long as the 3 jaw chuck is in the lathe I'll check the polish the shafts using this method.

DRIVE SHAFT IN LATHE

Back