RESTO My semi resto 96 XP project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nick always comes through.

Yup! Had him toss in a rectifier just in case that's the issue. That way I can have it tomorrow and be riding by the weekend. Or atleast have enough together to head to my buddies to see if he can't help me fix it.

Did some digging over lunch today. I just couldn't let the carbs go untouched and just assume it's an electrical issue. Pulled the carbs and checked the pop off pressure......40 PSI!!!!! It' supposed to be 25 for the jetting that's in there. WHOOPS! Guess I put the wrong springs in that came in the kit. I had quite a few springs so I found the ones that looked to be the closest color to what 95 gram springs are and put those in. Both pop now at 25-30 psi depending on which time I did the test. They popped pretty reliably at those pressures every time. So now I'm where I should be. Is that the issue......yeahhhh who knows. I'm pretty stupid when it comes to carbs.

I also cut back the spark plug wires. Kind of glad I did that cause the connections looked pretty nasty. Now they have a nice clean copper connection to connect to.

Those curious about what came in the jet kit:
145 high speed main jets
75 low speed primary jets
2.0 needles and seats
95 gram springs

[MENTION=59515]suke[/MENTION] ...... I really hope you are going to come at us with some good news after this weekend. I feel for you man lol.

Suke,

I'm curious as to the outcome of after changing the pop off pressure. Did it resolve your problem?

I haven't tried it out. One of my motor mounts is stripped. Trying to chase one down today, so I can head to my buddies lake house to test it out.

your inbox is full suke, id help with motor mount but im in nyc till tues. can you wait till then?

Was frantically trying to find one before tomorrow so I could get my running issues troubleshooted by a buddy of mine in lake Gaston. I have one being sent by Nick, but I guess we missed the overnight.

There's a guy parting an XP here but he's gone riding at Jordan and is prolly going camping tonight so won't be back in time. DOH! There's a chance he said they may not go camping though and he'd check when he got home tonight to see if he has them. I'm beginning to think I'm not meant to go. lol Everything is fighting me. Also have my buddy checking to see if he has one or a guy at lake gaston has one, but guessing that's going to come up empty. What are the odds that 5-6 different ways to get a motor mount quick have fallen through? I'll take that as a sign. HAH!

Any chance you tried your local dealer? I know way too expensive--$56. But the cost of a used mount and overnightitng it, missing the shipment, losing a day or two? I know guys hate the stealer, but some days you just need to pay the piper. Just looking to give another option out to bail you out for the weekend. Some dealers even have some used parts, I know mine does for the older skis.

Any chance you tried your local dealer? I know way too expensive--$56. But the cost of a used mount and overnightitng it, missing the shipment, losing a day or two? I know guys hate the stealer, but some days you just need to pay the piper. Just looking to give another option out to bail you out for the weekend. Some dealers even have some used parts, I know mine does for the older skis.

I didn't think about that. My closest dealer is a boat dealer that just happens to sell seadoo's. Soooo doubt they'll have anything, but I'll give them a call in the morning. Although I don't think they open until 10:30, and mail normally is here by noon. So if we missed overnight by just a bit there's a chance it'll be here.

Any 787 boat uses the same mount. I assume you're looking for a rear engine mount, not the front?

Old Ski part# 270000220

Old Boat Part# 270000421

New part# 270000720

If I'm looking for something NOW and don't want to wait, I'm off to the dealer. Worst case they usually can have it in 3 days IIRC.

I can't even buy good luck right now. lol So all my local leads on motor mounts fell through. Which wasn't really a big deal since the tracking said mine would be delivered today by 3. 2:57 and the mailman comes FLYING into my cul-de-sac and tosses the package in my mailbox then flys off. SWEET! It was too late to make it to my buddies since it's about 2 hours away. Wouldn't have much time to really mess with it. Which was good I suppose. Get the mount in and figure I'll just run it down to my local lake and see if my carb changes made any difference. Here's where it get's interesting.

It took longer to start this time, but got it started at the house. So figure all is well and head to the lake. She doesn't start. While I stand in waist deep water trying to figure it out for 10-15 mins. No dice. The UPSIDE here. Not a single DROP of water came into the hull. Dry as a bone. Carrier seal did great, granted I really didn't ride it. Pull out of the water and fiddle with more things and get it start eventually. Smokes like a mofo since I was dumping so much fuel into the engine. Guess I flooded it. Time to head home.

Get home and futz around with some more stuff checking things. Figured I hadn't checked compression since I first bought it....might as well. Also thought I'd see if there was a ton of fuel in the cylinders and it just wasn't getting spark. Pull the plugs and ground the wires on the post. And crank a few times. Nothing but a tiny fine mist comes out.

Checked compression and it was 150 and 148. So we're good. Was higher than that, but that's likely cause I had run the engine within the last hour or so. After no avail I figured the ONLY thing I messed with was the carbs, and clipping the spark plug wires back. Soooo I pull the plug boots off again and it doesn't look like one wire seated very well. So cut back both a little bit more past the crinked parts. And cleaned both boots with electronics cleaner and really got them on good.

Now on to the carbs. Check pop off pressure on the mag carb and it doesn't seem to be holding pressure at all. Take it apart again the arm had somehow worked itself loose. Tightened that down real good and the arm was up way too high. Adjusted that down to where it's flush. Pop off is perfect at 25psi where it should be. Ok now on to the next. Seat was leaking......what the deuce. Didn't have those problems yesterday, yeesh. Pull the seat and it was dirty as mess under there. Filters were clean on both.....weird. Guess I didn't get that the first time. Cleaned it good and put the seat back in and tightened holder down good as well. The arm on that one was also pretty high. Adjusted that flush too. Pop off also dead on at 25 psi.

Put the carbs back in and didn't prime it at all since I flooded the hell out of the motor. Crank for 2-3 seconds with just a smidge of throttle and fires right up. Smokes like crazy and out pours a mixture of nastiness. Ton of black premix with some water. Then starts to run away like an air leak, but I messed with the idle screw a lot. Pushed the stop button and it turns off without an issue. Adjusted the idle down a bit. Hit the start button and she cranks RIGHT away. AWESOME! Idle is still a little high, so turn it off and adjust it down some more. Sounds like the carbs need to be synced. Runs a little rough, but I haven't burned all the fuel off. Only let it run to get the idle speed quasi dialed in, and didn't want to get the motor hot.

So monday I guess I'll try it again in the water. If none of this worked next weekend I'll take it up to my buddies place.

Any updates from Monday? Did the carb tuning help? Does anyone know what the charging voltage should be on these things at idle? At higher RPM?

Any updates from Monday? Did the carb tuning help? Does anyone know what the charging voltage should be on these things at idle? At higher RPM?

No didn't get a chance to take it out yet. Maybe will get to today. Worse case scenario will be this weekend when I take it to [MENTION=52309]MPower[/MENTION]'s place.

FINALLY have some good news. Got a chance to try out my ski again. Got to Mpower's house and figured I hadn't had a chance to run it since I did the carb changes figured why not. Start it on the trailer at his house. Sorry for it spewing oil on your driveway. Idle runs up like a lean run away. Hit the stop button and figure let's drop it in the water and see what's up.

Put it in the water and wanted to see how the carrier bearing was and make sure it doesn't leak or anything. Cruise out to the point and hammer down and it just TAKES OFF!!!!!!! Figure might as well just head to the boat house at this point. It flies the whole time!

Get there and the idle was stupid high. [MENTION=52309]MPower[/MENTION] went out on it to try and adjust the idle and nothing he did made it change. Bring it back in and I said welllllll what about the throttle cable? Yup it was too tight. Adjust that, adjust the idle then, and we're good to go. We didn't have to to anything to it. Sooooo we were able to ride the rest of the day. Performed flat out flawlessly. It's fast as shit!

Success!! Who's XP was faster? Mpower's or yours? ;)

FINALLY have some good news. Got a chance to try out my ski again. Got to Mpower's house and figured I hadn't had a chance to run it since I did the carb changes figured why not. Start it on the trailer at his house. Sorry for it spewing oil on your driveway. Idle runs up like a lean run away. Hit the stop button and figure let's drop it in the water and see what's up.

Put it in the water and wanted to see how the carrier bearing was and make sure it doesn't leak or anything. Cruise out to the point and hammer down and it just TAKES OFF!!!!!!! Figure might as well just head to the boat house at this point. It flies the whole time!

Get there and the idle was stupid high. [MENTION=52309]MPower[/MENTION] went out on it to try and adjust the idle and nothing he did made it change. Bring it back in and I said welllllll what about the throttle cable? Yup it was too tight. Adjust that, adjust the idle then, and we're good to go. We didn't have to to anything to it. Sooooo we were able to ride the rest of the day. Performed flat out flawlessly. It's fast as shit!

Success!! Who's XP was faster? Mpower's or yours? ;)

I'm going to guess his, but we never really did a side by side run. It did start to bog a little on the way back to the trailer. Not sure what's up with that, but doubt it's anything. It ran great all day. Seemed to clear up if I cleared it out. Might pull my raves just cause it was puking a nastiness of premix I'd imagine they're pretty dirty. Spark plugs were spot on in both cylinders. A nice chocolate brown.

Here's the two together on the lift.
IMG_20130622_110200.jpg
IMG_20130622_110227.jpg
IMG_20130622_110245.jpg
IMG_20130622_123443.jpg

This thing was nuts to ride.
IMG_20130622_123450.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back