RESTO My 1995 seadoo speedster wont pick up speed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylepeterman

Recently bought the boat last week when i went to pick it up it started up just fine outside the water got in the water and had some problems starting it but eventually got it (ive never owned a boat and have very minimal knowledge on how the work ) but once i got it out it it would start to pick up but about having through the throttle it would start screaming and not pick up anymore speed if anyone could help me i would really appreciate it

It sounds like your experiencing cavitation. It will feel like a clutch slipping in a car, so the motor will rev, but you won’t pick up speed... The most common cause of cavitation is a bad wear ring. You’ll want to get under the boat with a flashlight and look up through the intake grate at the ring that seals around the impellers. These should be free from gouges or missing chunks, and should have a clearance of no more than the width of a dime between the prop and the ring...

I had the exact same experience when I bought my 95 Speedster last year. I checked the compression before I bought it n it was good. It ran well but once I got it in the water it took alot to get it on plane. I new something was wrong immediately n it pissed me off because the guy wasn't honest with me. Anyhow I rebuilt the jet pumps myself n changed one of the impellers. Im not a mechanic but I think it's an easy enough job to do if you pay close attention to how it comes apart and find the torque settings. The most trouble I had was getting the old wear ring out. I watched all kinds of videos on this too. I tried putting it in the freezer which didn't work. I ended up cutting it out carefully. I bought the new one on Amazon and that one was off. The inside diameter was perfect but the outside diameter was way off so I turned it down to size. It sucked but I had the boat ripping in a couple days at 55 mph. If you attempt to rebuild them yourself familiarize yourself with alot of YouTube videos to get the gist. Make sure you change any gaskets or O-rings and the pump oil. Lastly make sure the shaft is engaged in the seat before you tighten the nut. Do one pump at a time so you remember how it all came apart. I think it was about $125 to do it all. I have to say I'm incredibly pleased that I did all the work and I know the boat now. Good luck with it, and reach out if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back