My 14.5 Challenger Stereo Install, Blacktip mats, Seat paint, Etc.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandman251

Hi everybody,

Just finished some light work on my new 97' Challenger. Thought somebody might be interested.
First, the stereo. I mulled it over and looked at the ideas others had for the same job. Here's what I came up with. Components in the drivers compartment. Seemed like a painfully obvious spot. It is very accessible, watertight, and made the install very, very easy. I removed the purple bins that contain the fire extinguisher and tool kit and relocated them to the front port side storage unit. They fit perfectly. Whenever she asks how long a particular job will take, I always tell my wife "about an hour". She always laughs. But really, this install took about an hour.
The speaker placement, again, seemed obvious. All the wires were run through the "ski locker" in the floor then up into the bin. I took power right from the battery which was easy. I ran the wires through the drain hole that leads into the bilge. I left about 4 ft of slack in all the wires so I can remove the bin anytime I want.
I used a pair of infinity marine 6X9's ($89). IMO, don't waste your time with round speakers of any kind if you have room. You cannot ever get the bass and volume that is possible with 6X9's, ever. The head unit is a newer Pioneer with a front AUX plug ($89). I had it laying around. If I had to go out and buy one, I would go with a Bluetooth capable unit. They aren't a lot more. Now for the most important part...the amp. DON'T BOTHER INSTALLING A MARINE STEREO WITHOUT AN AMP! There, I said it. The difference it makes is so incredible that I almost want to scream it again. Mine is an MB Quart 2 channel ($79) that puts out 90W RMS/CH 250 peak. Your typical head unit says 45X4ch but that is peak. Your head unit will only put out around 14W RMS. That's not enough. And stay away from Boss Marine and other schlock manufacturers that sell 1500W amps for $39. Anyway this stereo rocks. It is clear and has punishing bass. You would swear I had subs. I couldn't be happier.
I installed blacktip mats, too. For $60 I got the roll. It was enough to do the entire boat. It was easy to cut with a sharp utility knife. I'm not sure I like the color. My daughter does, though. Thought It would be a much deeper purple. If it holds up, I'm going to love it. Already had a few neighbors give me a thumbs up. Pretty soft on the feet, too.
Vinyl Seat paint....Who woulda thunk it! I know of 3 companies that make it. I used SEM and wow, what a product. Other than the fact that the seatbacks are now TOO white. Need to get another can and do the bottoms. Just followed the instructions. Cleaning, Can of SEM vinyl prep($17), can of SEM carver white vinyl paint ($15). The seats are flawless and soft and still have visible grain. They also have the correct sheen. Almost none. Ive seen other seat paint jobs that made me want to laugh they were so glossy. Reports are years of service from this product. Time will tell.

Attachments

• jb1.jpg
    jb1.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 64
  • jb2.jpg
    jb2.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 62
  • jb3.jpg
    jb3.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 59
  • jb4.jpg
    jb4.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 61
  • jb5.jpg
    jb5.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work.

But mounting your radio IN the bucket... you loose storage space. Most guys mount the radio in the side of the helm... and then mount the amp where your fuses are.

FYI.. if you decide to change... the bucket is the same from the early to mid 90's ski's. (Easy to find in good shape)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back