More from this Nooby

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

MTHancock

I can't wait to get a PWC and I am thinking of restricting my search to a SeaDoo just because of folks like you in this helpful forum.

We recently bought a house on a freshwater lake in SC and have two sons (18 and 16) who I need to introduce to the waterfront life I had (mine was saltwater) before they go off to college and get married. I want to make sure they get some memories so we get visits from grandkids!

Budget isn't an issue, but I'm very frugal. I've never bought a new car, built a new house, etc. I let others take the hit. I want a good deal and a problem-free experience.

I posted about the 2000 Gti that looks like new but doesn't allow a water test. The forum has convinced me to insist or pass. I thought $2200 with trailer was a good deal (it actually looks like new, inside and out), but I'm wondering if I should keep looking, even if he allows a water test and does a compression test with me there. When he cranked it it smoked a lot. He said that would burn off and it was because it had been sitting and the engine had been been filled with oil during the storage. He said compression was a solid 150.

Here are my questions:

Will the compression continue to be affected by the oil situation? How long (if ever) before I could get a solid compression test?

How hard is it to check the impeller? Can I insist on that, too?

I will check for gray fuel lines.

What am I looking for on motor mounts?

Anything else I can reasonably insist on?

Thanks, all. You guys are awesome!

Compression is correct but hard to say how much oil will increase it.
You can lay on your back and look at the impeller with a flashlight.
The excessive smoke sounds like bad crank seals.

I would look for a 96-97 GTX and 96’ XP, 1997-1999 SPX or 1996-1997 GSX. All are great reliable fast and inexpensive Seadoo’s. Should be tons of family fun and all 3 use same engines.

GTX is 3 seater great for two up and pulling tubes. GSX is stable two seater, fast and stable good in rough water. XP/SPX is fast nimble, fun but really is a one person ski, less stable and pounding in chop.

If budget isn't an issue, you should get a 4 stroke. I recommend a 2011 or newer GTI SE 130. The ibr is worth it and why deal with clouds of smoke. Should be able to find one for around $6k.

Depends on what you are looking for. Budget isn’t an issue for me but I wouldn’t own anything but a 2 stroke for the lakes I ride. Much simpler, lighter, more playful and easier to fix. If I rode open water then 4 stroke.

The most important question is how technically savy are you, such as tools and a place to wrench on stuff? What lake did you go to?

The most important question is how technically savy are you, such as tools and a place to wrench on stuff? What lake did you go to?

I’m on Lake Greenwood in S.C. Not incredibly savvy but I’ve always been a “what one man can do another man can do” kinda guy.

I think a water test would answer a lot of questions. I am a bit confused why the guy won't do it. If you show up with the money he wants... should be a simple.... I am a serious buyer. Personally, I think a compression test is a great idea. If it starts and runs, looks clean, and everything works.... you got a jet ski you can ride. :) The jet ski should come with a trailer or an applicable discount should be applied. My opinion of course. :)

Below is a picture of the gray fuel lines. Good Luck !!

Attachments

• 20170623_181913.jpg
    20170623_181913.jpg
    801.9 KB · Views: 16
What jet skis have you rode? If wrenching is not for you then you need to buy what you can have worked on by a quality mechanic (chicken or egg right?) near you. In my opinion a big fat heavy 4 stroke on a 17 sq mile lake won't be much fun, but a light weight 787 powered spx/xp dosent need a huge body of water to use to full potential especially for your sons. A 96-97 GTX is my favorite 3 seater. The cost of a catastrophic engine failure is absurd with a 4 stroke and with a 2 stroke it is manageable. There is a laundry list of pros and cons, a 2 stroke is super simple to work on and pretty cheap compared to what you can spend on a newer 4 stroke.

I'm pretty new at jet skis but not new to mechanical stuff. I've only bought one that ran (out of 4) but I never paid more than $1K. :) As for what I spend fixing them... LOL... I don't even add it up. :D :D I never trust an engine to be reliable especially as old as these skis I buy are (1996 ish)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back