RESTO Minnetonka road trip 97 spx

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasonv

I started out Sunday at 6pm on the 20 hour trip one way and got back Tuesday at 6 pm. It was a long trip but so worth it. I bought a 97 spx hull and a 96 XP hull both where gutted except for the gas and oil tanks. Nick took a 96 box and put two new plugs in it for the 97 gauges. I had to run 96 electronics to use the water injection for the factory pipe.
So here is all the stuff we are putting in it.

New motor
Factory spec 2 pipe
Water injection and rev limiter
Rebuilt pump
Skat trac impeller
R and d nozzle
R and d trim tabs
Racers sponsons
Buckshot head with pump gas domes
Buckshot carbs
High volume gas pump
K and n breather
Umi steering (not installed yet)
Riva finger throdle
Riva bars
Odi grips
Billet exhaust tip
Racing exhaust hoses

Every thing purchased from nick or Matt

I put the ski together on Thursday evening and Friday morning
Pics to follow

image.jpg Ready to install the umi and rebuilt the raves today. I'm still waiting on a tach, fuel primer, and the riva bars, finger throdle, and the odi grips

Is that the magic polish formula? Working hands, Listerine and Oh Sapp hand soap. Who'da thunk all these years that Mothers didn't know. Lol

Nice ski! This one is gonna be quick. Did something happen to your old xp? Or do you just hoard skis like the rest of us haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Sold my XP for 5000.00 and had to do a quick build so I could beat my buddy I sold it too on the water.
One of my old friends was riding it and said hey what would it take for me to buy this ski, I said 5000 and he gave me cash.

On the aluminum polishing I had to get real aggressive to remove the deep gouges and pitting so here are the step I went through

1. 220 grit regular sand paper on a orbital sander on the plate and by hand on the curved stuff
2. Wet sand 320, 400, 800, 1200, 1500, 2000, 3000,
3. Brasso with a drill and polishing tip
4. Never dull buy hand with a lot of elbow grease

All together it took about 2.5 hours and was the first time I had tried any thing like this so I was very happy with the results

Sold my XP for 5000.00 and had to do a quick build so I could beat my buddy I sold it too on the water.
One of my old friends was riding it and said hey what would it take for me to buy this ski, I said 5000 and he gave me cash.
Dang 5k for a XP..that has to be some type of record lol!..Anyways great build..keep it going.

Nice!! That UMI sure cleaned up. I've got a couple from salt water skis I'm going to have to try your method on

Ok I just took the pics so there not the best. I didn't start on it until about six this evening because a buddy of mine found me a 97 spx with trailer and papers for 6 bills. I put new fuel lines a rebuilt set of carbs rewired a few water tights installed a junk vts motor just to hold it in place and bam she's runs like a dream out of the water but don't they all. Oh yea I also changed the handle bars grips bar pad and the seat.image.jpgimage.jpg

Before
image.jpg

After I also installed a hood form another 97 spx I picked up the day with trailer for 75 bucks SCORE!!
image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back