97 GSX issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I picked up a 97 GSX as a winter project. Has 148/150 compression.
So far I have cleaned and rebuilt carburator, new fuel lines, new fuel filter, new fuel selector valve.

When cleaning the carbs I reset screws to factory.

It also had water intrusion in the flywheel cover from someone only putting one bolt on the starter....
So I made sure it was dry in there and installed a new starter. Works great.

It has multiple issues. First is that even though I lowered the idle screw, it revs extremely high and runs rough on the trailer. I also have to hold the choke longer than I have ever had to on my 96 xp.

When om the water, it ran okay at idle so I gave it a little gas and it shook like crazy and surged. I immediately turned it off and swam it back to the trailer.

Before putting it on the water I also pre mixed the gas as well as running the injection oil because I had to drain the tank and put new oil in because of blue oil. So it is putting out alot of white smoke but I assume this is just from alot of oil.

I am planning on draining gas (sitting over winter and stabilized but took the guy word I bought it from it was new) and putting new spark plugs even though I know both are getting spark. What else should I look for? I am fairly confident the carbs are good but will always go back in and take a look again if one of you think it is something in there.

Well, I contacted the previous owner and he stated tha gas was from the owner before him!

I am guessing that is the issue. Will make a post if it is not.

What carb kits did you use?
Did you replace the needle and seat?
What springs did you use?
Did you check pop-off & leak down?

Well...nevermind. I dropped a Allen wrench and found a ball bearing.....from the crank bearing. Makes sense for all the white smoke. I am amazed I didn't completely toast running it and how it didn't sound worse than it did. Sounded a little rough but just assumed it was a fuel delivery issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back