Maint light for 2000 Sea-doo GTX DI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Issues: Maint light is coming on at the start of the craft then going away and coming back on when accelerating quickly.

- The wear ring is pretty rough condition, working on replacing it now. (replaced)

-
The fuel pump was only putting out 80 - 90 psi, I read that it should be 107. (replaced)

-
Lots of very strong vibrations while idle, possibly due to the wear ring/cavitation? (no more vibrating due to fuel pump or wear ring)

-
Noises that sound like the machine is grinding something up. After looking, nothing appears to be in or near the impeller. (Seems to be gone as well, due to rebuilding jet pump, replacing fuel pump and wear ring)

Info:
This Sea-doo has brand new spark plugs, battery, fuel filter, and the rave valves have been cleaned out. I also use 93 octane premium fuel.

Engine: 951

- I was able to hit a top speed of 55, when the wear ring didn't look like someone took a knife to it. My max rpm is about 6100, I was informed this should be between 6600 and 6800.

- The idle rpm seems to bounce a lot between 1050 to 1300. I read on the Sea-doo this should be 1400 - 1500 rpm.

- The wear ring seemed like it was destroyed over night, going from decent condition to not usable. I pushed on the impeller shaft a bit in each direction (without taking the intake grate off) and it did not give or budge at all.

- I also had someone under the ski while I tested different rpm's to see if the Impeller was off balance or the bearings were going out. Everything seemed good in that regard.

Question: What could be causing the low RPM issue? After replacing the inline fuel filter it ran great for a few hours and then slowly regressed back to 6000 rpm.

Last edited:
I would perform a compression test.
Borrow a candoo pro or buds system and read the codes the ski is throwing. Maybe find a dealer that will hook the ski up and read the codes.
Check your pressure gauge because at 80-90psi the ski would probably not even run.

Crank the ski with a volt meter attached to the battery. Meter should read between 13.5 - 14.5vdc. Anything above or below this reading and you rectifier is bad.
I highly recommend you don’t start changing parts until you find the problem as that could get expensive.

Last edited:
Agree with jhjesse. My DI had similar problems that continued to get worse. Eventually it stopped running and I had a hole in 1 piston.

The grinding noise is probably normal if out of the water. Everything else indicate problems. Start with compression, then confirm fuel pressure, then check electrical voltage at the battery. a Candoo would make it easier but you MIGHT be able to get by without one.

Check the ohms of your fuel pump circuit...It should be 1 ohms....Sounds like you have either a bad pump causeing a load on the electrical system which is why your getting a maint light that comes and goes because battery voltage will auto clear. This could also be a failing component on you electrical charging system...Whats your fuel pressure will the ski off and fuel system primed? The fuel pump supplys 27 psi the air compressor supply's the other 90 if i remember correctly.

Update: We went ahead and replaced the old fuel pump as well as all the filters, then rebuilt the jet pump and replaced the wear ring. I am now looking towards checking the compression and seeing if the solenoid or air pump are having any issues. I'll try to keep y'all updated.

Update 2: So we got it out on the water today, and it managed to hit 6000 rpm. There was next to no shaking/vibrating, sounded like it was running pretty well. I forgot to note that when the inline fuel filter had been replaced it hit 6600 rpm and 61 mph, then slowly degraded back down to 6000 rpm. (a few weeks ago before fuel pump replacement and wear ring looked pretty good)

Update 3: Performed a compression test and the results how one cylinder at 118 psi and the other at 115 psi. This could be the issue causing low rpm, however I'm going to test it with a different kit since I was able to 6600 rpm at one point.

Your gauge is not correct. I would try another gauge or just let it go as you are getting good revs.

Update 4: Tested with a different kit and was able to reach 125 psi on both cylinders in about 3 ticks. Much faster than the last gauge. Seems the Compression is fine on the engine, I'm going to look into the solenoid and rave valves some more.

Update 5: We cleaned off the spark plugs and rave valves once again, however that did not change much. I haven't gotten the "maint" light since unhooking the battery and draining all residual power. Sorta out of ideas at this point, if anyone has any suggestions let me know :)

Going to bump this, I haven't tried anything since back in July. However I plan to do a top end rebuild. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to let me know.

As far as the top end rebuild, most 951’s don’t survive just a top end. If your going to do it, do the crankshaft and balancer also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back