Low oil pressure at idle

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

tjilesjr

I have a 2010 rxt 260 had a bad timing chain replace timing chain and valves started machine ran fine took out for trial run low oil pressure came on prop machine and thought maybe the sensor was bad put a manual gauge on now have low oil pressure at idle but get great oil pressure when accelerating the engine any help would be much appreciate

Timing chain failure can really mess up the oil pump, mag cup, flywheel, etc. Did you pull motor and inspect/clean all components of the pto housing?

Yes took motor out tore down completely even inspected main bearings everything looked great machine only has 16 hours on it

Yes took motor out tore down completely even inspected main bearings everything looked great machine only has 16 hours on it
I'm a heavy equipment mechanic I have a digital pressure gauge hooked up and only seeing like 14 lb at idle up to like 70 lb reving it up

This only happened when I took it out to try it on the lake I used the XPS 5W-40 oil but just realized that it was an aftermarket oil filter do you think that could be the issue

No, your oil pressure regulator isn't working. I suspect one of the two springs has jammed up with a small piece of metal or the piston is scarred up and not working properly. Your symptoms point to the oil pressure regulator for sure. I would replace it. It can be removed by not pulling the motor but it is way easier to just pull the motor and make sure it is back in place perfectly.

No, your oil pressure regulator isn't working. I suspect one of the two springs has jammed up with a small piece of metal or the piston is scarred up and not working properly. Your symptoms point to the oil pressure regulator for sure. I would replace it. It can be removed by not pulling the motor but it is way easier to just pull the motor and make sure it is back in place perfectly.
Sounds good I really appreciate the help would I have to lift up the motor and would you recommend that I don't ride until I get it fixed

Up to you but low oil pressure at any rpm isn't a good thing and can cause engine wear quickly.

Okay so we fixed it thank God for my son he was able to reach down there and remove the relief and found the problemIMG_20230713_061931200.jpg

You're welcome. You said you cleaned the oil pressure regulator in an early post? Did you break it when you put it back in?

Back