Looking at buying a 96 SPX....Any common issues I should be on the look out for? **ADVISE**

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had one of these for about 7 months. :) My nephew gave it to me. I did lots of research but didn't get it on the water. With my nephew's permission I gave the ski to my cousin and after much tedious work and troubleshooting he has it running. Basically needed the usual carb job, new lines, fuel system, and such. He ended up finding the pick up tubes in the fuel tank plugged. That thing SCREAMS. I have an SPI which is about 50HP, the SPX is the same size with 80 HP dual carbs. From what I read the engine is pretty maxxed out as far as power is concerned. The 1995 model has trim. I like the skis but they are small which equals FUN and not a two person ski. I'd go through the oil system and replace the oil lines an check the pump. If you are buying... check the compression and if you have a bore scope look in the bores. Good Luck

Etemplate pretty much covered it. The biggest killer of these is a dirty fuel system. Don’t ride any ski until it’s thoroughly serviced. And @etemplet try a 96’ XP/ 1997-1999 SPX, same fun hull but 110 HP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back