2002 seadoo Gt’s Di hi temp

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Macka

Hi. I have a 2002 seadoo Gt’s di that as soon as I put the key fob on it comes up with hi temp before even starting. I changed out the temp sensors but it still comes up. Engine runs fine and not overheating at all. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Two things I would do. I would test the sensor to see if it is good, there are a lot of junk parts out there(check the old one too). If the part is good I would start tracing the wires back to MPEM and look for damage, it may be grounded.

Two things I would do. I would test the sensor to see if it is good, there are a lot of junk parts out there(check the old one too). If the part is good I would start tracing the wires back to MPEM and look for damage, it may be grounded.
Looked over all wires and no breaks or worn through wires. Sensors tested fine as well.

Something to try. Put the key in and when the alarm sounds unplug the sensor, see if it stops. I'm no expert but rational would say that if it stops its the sensor. If it doesn't stop you have an issue at the MPEM or wiring. Also post the Ohms reading of the sensor, maybe someone will know if it is out of tolerance. Are you sure you have the right sensor?

Still goes with the sensor unplugged. Weird thing is that the sensors are reading fine out on the water. Even on start up it’s saying 30 degrees on both but still high temp is on. Thought it might have been in the mpem as wires were fine but put a new one in and same thing happens.

you said you changed the temp sensors? which ones, the one in the head and the one in the muffler?
you checked the harness? did you measure them with an ohm meter?
at start up on the water your sensor is saying 30 degrees? on your gauge? if my memory is right your gauge displays water temp of the lake your in not what the engine temp is

you said you changed the temp sensors? which ones, the one in the head and the one in the muffler?
you checked the harness? did you measure them with an ohm meter?
at start up on the water your sensor is saying 30 degrees? on your gauge? if my memory is right your gauge displays water temp of the lake your in not what the engine temp is
From what i remember from my 98 GTX ltd, the water temp sensor doesn't have a warning buzzard, only the engine temp sensor.

If you know someone with a candoo reader , they could pull the codes off and it might give you a clearer picture. If you have a dealer near, they might be able to do it.
You said you checked the wiring? Because it seems like it is shorted out. Did you check the connector, maybe it is damaged? This is weird, if you swamped MPEMs and swamped sensors, the only thing left is wiring and connector

From what i remember from my 98 GTX ltd, the water temp sensor doesn't have a warning buzzard, only the engine temp sensor.
i guess what I am trying to find out is what water temp sensor are we talking about.
when the gauge displays temp on the gauge that’s the lake temp read by the speed sensor or air temp read by the sensor in the hood, when there is a warning buzzer with a overheating message that is either the head temp or the exhaust temp warning, but are different sensors than what is displayed as temp on the gauge.
Both the head temp and exhaust temp sensors should test out at 2280-2740 ohms

i guess what I am trying to find out is what water temp sensor are we talking about.
when the gauge displays temp on the gauge that’s the lake temp read by the speed sensor or air temp read by the sensor in the hood, when there is a warning buzzer with a overheating message that is either the head temp or the exhaust temp warning, but are different sensors than what is displayed as temp on the gauge.
Both the head temp and exhaust temp sensors should test out at 2280-2740 ohms
My 98 doesn't have that exhaust sensor, but you bring up a good point, check your 02 setup and look at that too . Do you know if it has a way to differentiate between the two high temps errors?

Last edited:
The 950 carbs don’t have an exhaust temp sensor.
The only way to know which one is causing the fault is to hook it up to a computer or test the sensor and circuit and see which one is out of range.

The 950 carbs don’t have an exhaust temp sensor.
The only way to know which one is causing the fault is to hook it up to a computer or test the sensor and circuit and see which one is out of range.
Couldn't you disconnect the exhaust sensor and head sensor then hook one at a time to isolate the faulty wires/sensor?

Well, unplugging a sensor should bring up a fault, it might change your overheat message your seeing….I’m not used to diagnosing it that way because I would just hook the computer up and read the fault

Back