Looking at buying a 230 Wake, need advice please.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

AQHACowboy

I am in the Army stationed at FT Bragg, NC. with my wife and our 7yo son and a 4yo daughter and we are looking for a boat. We are looking for something I can wakeboard and the wife skis and so the kids can tube behind. I have looked at regular wakeboats and also Sea-Doo and the other Wakeboard Jetboat company. I like the idea of not having props exposed and being able to run in less then 18" of water. I have read and watched all the reviews I can find on both companys. the only down fall I have found is if you are in a turn under power and you cut power you go from turning to going straight. I am not sure why someone would want to cut power during a turn but who knows.

I would like the input of 230 Wake owners about their boats and what they like and don't like about it.

Any and all help would be great.

Besides the price..:ack:, think its an awesome boat, but then again, you can achieve those kind of "plays" from a smaller/cheaper new/used boat.

We wakeboard behind my boat, not that great of "wake" but does the job, also, we aint pros at it either...:cheers:

Timmyboy76 thanks for the info, we need a bigger boat because we go out with friends and they are a family of 4 as well.

I just cannot belive 15 views and only one post, anyone else able to give some advice on the boat I am looking at?

Timmyboy76 thanks for the info, we need a bigger boat because we go out with friends and they are a family of 4 as well.

I just cannot belive 15 views and only one post, anyone else able to give some advice on the boat I am looking at?

The problem you are having is most people, like myself dream about owning one of the 230s, but have no experience with them. I have sat in them at the boat show, but that's about it.

I have a buddy that has the 230 Yamaha, so I know a bit more about it than the big Sea-Doo.

Aaron

Last edited by a moderator:
Like my Utopia

Your kids are younger than mine. Buying a 230 boat might be prudent as they will probably grow into it. If you the type to trade in cars after just a few years, you might consider a Challenger 20 footer or the Utopia instead. We really enjoy the features of our Utopia 205.

I know you had a criteria for the usage, wakeboard, skiing, towables. For the towable and skiing, any of the boats will do. I don't wakeboard...but from what everyone say, you probably want the water pouches to create a bigger wake....or just bring some fat friends...:reddevil:

By the way, thank you for your service!:patriot:

Sikiguya we will keep this boat at least till the kids want something more specific to either skiing or wakeboarding. Then I will get one of the big name boats for that, but that is a ways away at this point.

It is my pleasure to serve out great nation.

Alright so we own a 2008 230 Wake and overall we love it.

Heres my input from the experience we've had so far. Also take into consideration that my family and I are completely and totally first time boat owners and the only trace of boating experience is from renting little beat up boats on the ocean or Big Bear lake and one time when I went on a trip to Laughlin with my friend on his families Centurion boat.

So as for the 230 Wake, our first boat.

Pros:

-Lots of space, certainly more space than the competiting Yamaha 230 or 212 X (you can move around more and be more comfortable) Especially in the bow area where your legs actually have places to rest.

-Looks really nice in the water and standsout from the rest. Has a Ferrari vibe. Just plain beautiful out there.

-Very well equipped for wakeboarding, ballast is great (make sure you open the valves in the engine compartment befor sucking up water, we Didn't know that the first time around) Tower speakers are nice and loud, the microphone is cool lets you speak to the rider, and finally I've heard the perfect pass is almost essential, especially since jet boats are apparntly more difficult to maintain speed

-Lots of storage

-Interior is designed well for watersports, the lounger chair next to the captains chair allows the spotter to relax while also being able to easily reach the mic, talk to the driver and watch the rider

-Comes with alot of power, we have the 430 hp but you could also get the 510 hp I believe, either way your gonna be haulin and have more than enough power to get your tube across the wake or pull your fat friends outta the water

-Its got a closed-loop cooling system so if you take it out in the ocean, theoretically no salt water will be running through your motor. But you still have to wash and wipe everything down when you get out of course. You just have a little more piece of mind.

Cons (I guess):

-Like all jetboats its a little hard to steer at low speeds, however I've read that seadoos do a better job at this than yamahas so maybe its not all that bad. You could install cobra jet steering (its basically a fin you stick on the bottom) which all the Yamaha boaters consider to be an essential for their boats and they rave about it.
That being said, we've gotten used to it and its not all that bad, I imagine on a windy day things may get a little sticky, but for the most part we haven't had any real notable problems with low-speed steering. However, we don't take the risk of powering-on and off the trailer, we pull-on/ pull-of I dk what the rest of seadoo jetboaters do.

-the infinity amplifier that comes with the boat is pretty weak. Yeah it powers the audio but its not too mean. For example, last weekend I turned the bass and the treble settings up and I think I blew out the amp because now our radio doesnt work. All the other electrical is fine, the tower speakers still turn on, everything else is good so I'm assuming its the amp. So it might be a good idea to not demand too much from the amp or just throw a bigger one in there.

-You need two people to open up the engine compartment, this is really not that big'a'deal just an annoyance. One person has to pull the lever in the glovebox while the other is at the back of the boat lifting up the "hood" However, I think this can be remedied by just using a little block of wood and proping the lever so you can go pop the hood yourself. I haven't tried this yet but it seems like it should work.

-On our particular boat the fuel gauge is not working. It is stuck on full. I'm sure this is an easy fix as I have seen threads on this forum addressing the issue for other watercrafts but since we're all pretty busy around here we'll just have the dealer fix it when we take it in for the 10 hour.

-Since its got superchargers it takes premium gas, might be an issue for those on a tight budget.

- Some claim that the superchargers are a source of problems. I've read about the clutch on the supercharger being blown out? Or problems with the bearings or nuts or something? Hey I'm not mechanical at all so I don't know whats up with that, the guys on here know this info better than I do, but so far we haven't ran into any of these issues (thankfully), therefore I'm not adequately familiar with them.

-It doesn't come with an hourmeter

-The antenna on the radio is pretty terrible, you should probably subscribe for satellite radio if you don't have an Ipod or Mp3 for your music. Or I know one guy on here extended is antenna and he seemed to get better reception.

Sidenotes:
Although you supposdely can run in shallow water I don't think its something you should do often, or at fast speeds anyway, since you could easily suck something up from the bottom like rocks or other debris which would cause big problems for your impellars. I think as long as you don't accelerate hard it should be ok though.

The thing you mentioned about the turning seems pretty inconsequential to me as I have never cut power in the middle of a turn and been overly concerned about how the boat is handling. I don't even know if thats true, its so inconsequential that I haven't paid attention to it yet. But I'll keep an eye out next time I'm out.

My friend's Centurion was a little bit smaller boat but cost way more and I have to say that comparatively, the 230 wake is just so much better than the Centurion I was on. The only thing the Centurion (it was the escalade I believe) might have on the 230 is the quality of the wake ,but to be honest the difference in the wake (in my opinion) was practically negligble to most riders.

I don't know what your level of wakeboarding is but in all honesty, the wake is fine, you've got enough pop to pull off just about anything that I would imagine is in your bag of tricks. You can youtube it to see what some of these guys are able to pull behind even smaller seadoo boats and I'm sure it will be more than satisfactory.

Bottom Line:

We love the boat, its a great family boat, a great wakesports boat, and when we compared this to equivalents from Mastercraft or Malibu along with their respective prices, we found that the 230 Wake was a far better choice, all things considered.

FloorStreet thank you for the info that is what I am looking for. I will try to find a dealer by me that has one and compare it to what I have seen of the Yammi. Once again thank you for your input.

230 wake

I absolutely love my 230 wake, it handles grate in rough chop and its plenty fast the only down fall I can think of is that the wake behind the boat could be a little better. I've got a 750lb ballast in my ski locker plus the factory 1000lb in the back and its fine for me at my skill level but still doest compare to a 23' wake setter. All in all if you don't need a huge wake you'll have a hard time finding a better boat with the oppositions it comes with for the price

I know some of you that know my story are assuming that I will have alot of Cons. But the truth is that the 230 wake or the 230 SE with the tower is the most affordable wakeboard edtion boat on the maket. I would buy another one. Its better looking than the Yam and has much more power!
Just look over what ever boat you buy with a fine tooth comb, Don't do like I did want it so bad that you go get it late in the day and want to go to the lake that night. There are pros and cons with all boats. If your worried about it being a jet boat and the sterring take a test ride, you will be surprised other than it being the oposite in reverse its just a learning curve of being new.

Tony is right. Once familiar with the nuances of the Seadoo Rotax(4-tec) twins you will find nothing in the boating world can compare with the maneuverability period. The gate designs on these newer 4-tecs are so much improved. Low speed maneuverability is superb. I believe the ONLY negative remaining on this setup is when at speed you just cut the throttle. You will have no steering. This really isn't a problem once your comfortable with the boat because its now second nature for me to maintain or actually feed throttle in the turns. When this is done the boat carves like a sport scar. A stern drive cannot compare.

Craig

Thank you for all the info you guys have given me. I like the 230 wake but the wife is not a big fan and wants the AR230 :(. But I will keep working on her and see if I can't bring her around.

Cowboy,

The Yamaha is sweet no doubt. The swim platform is second to none and the cleanouts they have top-side are a great feature with a caveat I'll get into in a minute.

I think the Yamaha fit and finish is superior to the Seadoo IMHO. Mind you I make this statement based only on my experience aboard the yamahas in the showroom. They just appear to be put together a little bit better.

I had my heart set on an SX210 until I heard that the engines are raw water cooled. Sure they probably hold up just fine but I really like the cooling approach BRP took with the closed loop cooling. Much rather have Ethlyn Glycol running through my engine than salt water. If you boat in only inland lakes then this obviously is less significant. Back to those cleanout plugs. The Service manager at Barneys of St. Pete mentioned that they have a problem with those all the time. Your supposed to constantly remove them and lube the seals. Apparently they get Yamahas in every week and those plugs are frozen in place and they break when you try to remove them from the seized state. $600 EACH according to barneys.

I say in your case go with your wife. You know they ole' cliche'...When Momma aint happy....Aint nobody happy.

Craig

-You need two people to open up the engine compartment, this is really not that big'a'deal just an annoyance. One person has to pull the lever in the glovebox while the other is at the back of the boat lifting up the "hood" However, I think this can be remedied by just using a little block of wood and proping the lever so you can go pop the hood yourself. I haven't tried this yet but it seems like it should work.

FYI. If you pull the handle than rotate it clockwise it will lock in the open
postion. Thats how mine works.

I just bought my second Seadoo, a 2008 Speedster 200. The first was a 2001 Challenger 1800. They are great boats from my experience. I looked at the 230 Challenger but decided it was actually too much boat for what my wife, my rottie, and I. So we went with the Speedster 200 (310hp) for better fuel economy both in the boat and towing it, as well as it being easier to launch. I got a killer deal from Mid Atlantic Marine in Warsaw, VA on mine. I think he may have some Wake's in stock. He beat everyone else within 600 miles of Wilmington, NC on the price - and by thousands of $$$. No BS involved with the purchase. New boat in the shrink wrap with a galvanized trailer and a sea trial. Good luck with whatever you end up with.

The King of the water is the Sea Doo 230 Wake 510 hp weedless
look at the fit and finish on the AR 230s compared to the Sea Doo. The open bow chrome grab bar will bend if you sit on it in the AR230.
My boat tops out at 56 mph GPS so far. (19 hours on motor). I run the Columbia river and San Juan Islands (salt) Sea doo has the closed loop system. The boat handles any water conditions, 1400 lbs of container ballast not bags. We wake surf, wake board, ski and tube off this boat. Perfect family boat and bring the neighbors, seats 12!
Navigation is awesome! Boat is Perfect!

If you want the best, Get the 2012 230 Wake 510 hp

The King of the water is the Sea Doo 230 Wake 510 hp weedless
look at the fit and finish on the AR 230s compared to the Sea Doo. The open bow chrome grab bar will bend if you sit on it in the AR230.
My boat tops out at 56 mph GPS so far. (19 hours on motor). I run the Columbia river and San Juan Islands (salt) Sea doo has the closed loop cooling system. The boat handles any water conditions, 1400 lbs of container ballast, not bags. We wake surf, wake board, ski and tube off this boat.
Perfect family boat and bring the neighbors, seats 12! Navigation is awesome! Boat is Perfect!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back