Location of Starter Bendix 1998 GSX Limited

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1998 Seadoo GSX that is a little hard to start. Eventually it will but it sounds weak to begin with.
It did sink at end of last year and we did everything to make sure it was OK afterwards. Engine was running etc.. Still runs fine now, but after sitting for the winter it sounds weak starting. I was told it would be the starter bendix.
I have been trying to research and do not know if that is inside the starter or somewhere else.
Can someone tell me where the starter bendix is?

The 951 has the bendix separate from the starter, so the starter just has a gear on it that keys to the gear on the bendix.

Inside of the front stator cover. you pretty much need to remove the exhaust system and then the cover and flywheel to get the starter bendix out.

I would make sure the battery is strong, and check connections and solenoid before I would change the bendix, it's not an easy job.

Lou

Agree with Lou, I would check elec first. I just went through this with my 98 GTX. IMO, the bendix is going to either work or not, so if its bad I wouldn't see it causing a weak starting sympton. Its a pretty simple design, it's either springing out and engaging the flywheel or not. If it's bad, you'll either hear the starting grinding the bendix gears because it's not fully extending to engage the flywheel. Or, you'll hear the starter spinning because the bendix aft gears are stripped or not returning, which is what happened with mine. Mine was caused from the bilge flooding and I believe the bendix corroded. The ski sat for a few weeks after that while I rewired it and when I attempted to start it I got the grinding followed by the starter spinning. Changed the bendix finally, it was pretty chewed up. And yes, it is a PITA on the 951. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd look for a battery or wiring issue before I'd go ripping the pipe off a 98 GSX LTD. Then of course you'll have to suspend the engine from above to get the front cover off...

it can be done (and I've done it), but I think it's the battery / wiring. could also just be the starter.

I have included a video of trying to start the GSX. It will start but it sounds weak trying. Wondering if anyone can tell by the video what the problem could be. As mentioned the engine hull was full of water the last time it was used. All proper measures were taken at the time.

[video=youtube_share;JfZXe2LjozU]http://youtu.be/JfZXe2LjozU[/video]

Weak voltage.

Either battery, relay, wiring....

Its trying to crank but there is so much draw that the computer thinks the voltage is way too low so it stop's attempting to crank. That's the reason you have that on and off crank at first.

When it actually starts turning the engine over is when there is just enough voltage that the computer doesn't disengage the starter. Or the surge isn't as strong as it was earlier.

So first thing would be to test the battery voltage while trying to crank it. I bet its dropping bellow 10 while under load.!

If it is getting to 11 volts when loaded, you have a battery or wire issue. SeaDoo's love their voltage and amps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have tried it with 2 different batteries that are fully charged. Same results on both. What is the next thing I should check if not the battery?

The ground wire under the block likes to corrode. or check the starter wire. the red one, held on by a 10mm lock nut, you'll have to remove the airbox to get to it. also pop open your rear e-box and see if it's factory fresh inside or if it's all rusted out. Black box, uses three plastic tabs. go slow removing the cover so you don't break any of the tabs. I can't tell you how many of those break then it destroys the ebox when it gets wet...

UPDATE::

Well I had not had the time to play with this. I have tried everything and what it comes down to is that if I unplug the stator the jetski will crank normal. When stator is plugged in it has the weak effect. I want to confirm if this means I need a new stator or could it be a rectifier (voltage regulator) etc... before I order a part. Thanks.

I did take the stator out. It was full of water and mud. I did clean it out and tried again. same weak results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back