Lending a helping hand on the water.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bell99man

Had a good time riding with nephews and nieces this past weekend on Lake Tuscaloosa. I was on my final run when we encountered a Kawy and 4 kids and a towable just sitting in the middle of the lake. On my second pass they decided to flag me down. I didn't comment on the capacity limit of the ski but I wanted to.
Anyway, the driver says they have sucked the rope into the pump and wants to know how to deal with it. I tell him that cutting it free will be his only option based on the setting sun. I asked if it were a 2-stroke and he nodded so we tied up and I went about 5 mph back to his lift. I had to tell him to put it up nose out so he could work on it. They thanked me and seemed enlightened by the advice. I guess common sense is fleeting with kids (18-22ish).

The best part was towing in another brand with my 18 year old Seadoo and riding off as they worked on theirs. It was a yellow and black STX I think and looked pretty sharp. They also had a GTI 130 sitting on the other lift so there is hope for them.

Its the circle of life on the water, all makes and models will have to give a tow and take a tow. I fee like most boaters are pretty laid back and they have all been there before so most are very nice about giving a tow, and I've had to be towed more than I like to admit

I have towed MANY things with my skis as well as the Searay I use to own. I KNOW my time will happen. I towed an 8000 pound boat away from hitting the break wall in Lake Erie. Just nice and slow so I didn't overheat my ski. Took about 40 minutes to go a mile or so....

The very first day I was ever on my first ski, we found a boat with a family drifting. So I decided to try to tow it. Didn't even know if I could but it did just fine. About a 18 foot ski boat with 5 on board. And then last time out, that same ski that towed the boat, lost a starter solenoid (fused). So I ended up towing that ski along with a tube and three other people with my other gtx. That is the exact reason I always bring TWO skis to the lake. Just in case.

The very first day I was ever on my first ski, we found a boat with a family drifting. So I decided to try to tow it. Didn't even know if I could but it did just fine. About a 18 foot ski boat with 5 on board. And then last time out, that same ski that towed the boat, lost a starter solenoid (fused). So I ended up towing that ski along with a tube and three other people with my other gtx. That is the exact reason I always bring TWO skis to the lake. Just in case.

Other than very rarely, I never ride alone. Both for safety as well as the enjoyment of being with outhers.

Must be an STX thing. Last summer I decided to stop and help two guys that couldn't get back on an STX. By the time I stopped there was only about 18" of the ski above the water and the sun was getting low. The good old GTI 720 pulled it back to shore and boy was it flooded.

2 strokes have an open cooling system and most of the newer 4 strokes are closed. With an open cooling system if you tow it too fast the water will still flow from the pump into the cooling system and without the engine running it can backup into the exhaust and flood the crankcase and cylinders with water.

Not certain about the 4-stroke but I guess maybe it's also possible to fill the exhaust with water while towing and cause water to back up into/through an exhaust valve and hydrolock a cylinder or contaminate the crankcase oil.

Consult the owners manual on towing though. Stern drives aren't a problem when towing but in some cases (occasional dieseling run-on mostly) the exhaust system can back-fill to the point where water enters a cylinder through an open exhaust valve, hydrolocking the cylinder and destroying the starter on the next crank. This and water-filled bilge are mercruiser starter killers.

Cool story. Anyone who has spent much time on the water will have a "tow story" at some point or the other.
I've been boating for...wow, about 30 years now...crazy. And in that time I've been towed in once due to a fuel problem. I've TOWED many, many people over the years. Best story is about 10 years ago I was at Table Rock with my son and some of his friends, and we see an older gentleman in a Cobalt...maybe a 25' boat...in distress as he and (what turns out to be his grand children) are waving us down. He explains "It just won't go...neither forwards or backwards." So I hop into the crystal clear water and immediately notice...he has no propeller. I explain this to him and he tells me, "I JUST had this boat serviced before I put it in the water...". I told him someone forgot to tighten the prop nut.
I always carry a spare stainless prop as well as all the washers, spacers, and nut to hold it on. So I put my spare on (in 90' of water!) his boat and attached it securely. He asked me if I was a local, I told him no and told him where I was staying, and just said, "When you are done with the prop, drop it off at the desk of the resort."
A couple of days later the manager stops me as we are coming back in for the day and says, "Your prop is here, as well as a couple of other things". So I went with her and found my prop, a fifth of Crown Royal, and a $100 gift certificate to the local steakhouse.
Believe me guys...time spent helping others on the water will ALWAYS come back to you in a favorable way.

Cool story. Anyone who has spent much time on the water will have a "tow story" at some point or the other.
I've been boating for...wow, about 30 years now...crazy. And in that time I've been towed in once due to a fuel problem. I've TOWED many, many people over the years. Best story is about 10 years ago I was at Table Rock with my son and some of his friends, and we see an older gentleman in a Cobalt...maybe a 25' boat...in distress as he and (what turns out to be his grand children) are waving us down. He explains "It just won't go...neither forwards or backwards." So I hop into the crystal clear water and immediately notice...he has no propeller. I explain this to him and he tells me, "I JUST had this boat serviced before I put it in the water...". I told him someone forgot to tighten the prop nut.
I always carry a spare stainless prop as well as all the washers, spacers, and nut to hold it on. So I put my spare on (in 90' of water!) his boat and attached it securely. He asked me if I was a local, I told him no and told him where I was staying, and just said, "When you are done with the prop, drop it off at the desk of the resort."
A couple of days later the manager stops me as we are coming back in for the day and says, "Your prop is here, as well as a couple of other things". So I went with her and found my prop, a fifth of Crown Royal, and a $100 gift certificate to the local steakhouse.
Believe me guys...time spent helping others on the water will ALWAYS come back to you in a favorable way.

Nice story. He could have just kept the prop...unless you got some info from him. That was a great thank you gift.

i towed a dead boat in havasu a few years back. i tried to get it running for him,but the fuel pump was dead. so i towed him back close to the london bridge n waved our goodbyes. a few weeks later i got a pkg in the mail,i left my oakleys in the eng bay of his boat! his wife took piks of us towing the boat n they used the cf numbers to track us down. most boaters are GREAT people. we are still in contact with them,and go to water together often.

i towed a dead boat in havasu a few years back. i tried to get it running for him,but the fuel pump was dead. so i towed him back close to the london bridge n waved our goodbyes. a few weeks later i got a pkg in the mail,i left my oakleys in the eng bay of his boat! his wife took piks of us towing the boat n they used the cf numbers to track us down. most boaters are GREAT people. we are still in contact with them,and go to water together often.

That is pretty cool as was the prop story from bajaman123. I mean these folks went way out of their way to express gratitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back