Lean Runaway after Carb maintenance

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cjb1985

Hi All,

Recently got the 96 Challenger out for it's first start up after a couple of months to get ready for Summer (Australia). Did the normal prep.
Boat was stuck on full throttle, diagnosed the issue as a seized throttle shaft.
I'm since removed the carb, fixed the issue and reinstalled the carb, without making any adjustments.

Started it up for the first time the other day since putting it back together.
Just on the trailer on a hose.
Began to rev pretty high with throttle at idle position (5500rpm), thought it might just be from the dry carbs.
Killed the engine.

Decided while I'm at it I'll clean the Rave's, so did that also.

Next day, started it up again; on the trailer on a hose.
Didn't seem to rev as high, but still 4800rpm and sat there for about 2 mins before I killed it again. Stopped fine with stop button.

So a couple of questions.
Considering the Rev's seem to be dropping (from 5500rpm to 4800rpm between runs), is it merely a case of running it out on the water under load to allow the carbs to get a bit more fuel in to stop it running lean? Or is there anyway to prime them? Or is this unlikely to be the problem?

When I cleaned the Rave valves I was unsure if I should grease up the gaskets. Could there be an air leak there?

Finally, I destroyed one of the carb base gaskets between the intake manifold and carb when removing. I was unable to find stock of this gasket at local seadoo dealers.
Being fairly mechanically inclined but new to Seadoo's, I made a new gasket from rubber and cork gasket material. But didn't grease either side of it.
Am I looking at the most likely cause?

Appreciate anyone opinions

Managed to get my hands on a WSM parts gasket, pretty much a clone of the original Seadoo gasket.

She is starting perfectly, had a slight issue getting her above 2,500rpm once under load the other morning.
Whilst limping back to shore, I gave the throttle one more squirt.
Bogged a little, choked and spluttered but sprung to life.
Straight to the plane and full speed in no time.

Thanks for all your help

2-Strokes idle higher out of water. When you drop them in the water they go to normal. Average is like 3500RPM and in water like 1000-1200RPM. Make sure to hookup the water hose is you run them out of water for anything more than like 30 seconds you could over heat them.

Probably just had some junk built up in carbs from sitting around and the stuck cable. Glad the gasket fixed it. Most places sell the WSM gaskets unless you order right from Seadoo. Never had an issue with WSM gaskets.

Managed to get my hands on a WSM parts gasket, pretty much a clone of the original Seadoo gasket.

She is starting perfectly, had a slight issue getting her above 2,500rpm once under load the other morning.
Whilst limping back to shore, I gave the throttle one more squirt.
Bogged a little, choked and spluttered but sprung to life.
Straight to the plane and full speed in no time.

Thanks for all your help

Better rebuild the carbs & check the entire fuel system, lines & selector for clogs/issues, should verify/replace all the oil lines to before you toast the motor..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back