Lakes around the Calgary area

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Unfrozen lakes?

Hi, just wondering does anyone know which lakes melt earliest or have melted? Just had my Challenger in for its spring service and was looking to get it on the water for a run (I bought it last Dec from the States and have not had it out yet :ack:) Drove past Ghost lake yeaterday and its mostly still solid, does anyone know of anywhere that the ice has gone and water levels or OK within 2 hours drive of Calgary?

Thanks

gaffer

My brother in-law was out near Little Bow two weeks ago and said that it was open. I haven't bothered to check for myself yet though.

Aaron:cheers:

Drove out to Gull Lake on Saturday - the ice is about 25 meters from the shore and going fast.:hurray: My concern is the very low water level - hope that some spring rain wills solve this.

Hey guys...been reading the forum for a couple years, first post.
Ghost is really still an icecube no the main resevoir part...but going a little ways up stream it opened up quite well.

I am curious about Little Bow...I like it down there and if it's open, giddy up!!

I am also curious if anyone has checked out Sylvan?

My co-workers both are boaters who live in Sylvan and they just informed me that there is a pretty big chunk of ice being blown around the middle of the lake still but ,depending on which way the wind is blowing, a person could launch this weekend as the ice is usually a good mile out. There were even people in the water throwing a football yesterday - can't imagine how cold that would have been :ack:, but different strokes.

sylvan/Ghost

At Sylvan do they know if all the ramps are open/usable? Or just specific ones?

robskot did you actually boat on Ghost? If so where did you launch?
Thanks

Both north and south ramps should be open - the only snag could be if the wind blows the ice closer to one of them but that should mean the other would be all the better.

Drove by ghost on Tuesday and it's in much better shape this year then last at this time. It should be good in 2 weeks maybe even 10 days according to my clueless forecast.

But I must ad after selling my seadoo 4tec last september I am happy to report I bought another one today! See you on the water shortly :)

Hey all.

My family and I are in Calgary, and I'm planning a camping trip with my brother in-law from Edmonton and his family for this summer somewhere in between the two cities. I was thinking Sylvan or Gull, but he mentioned Crimson Lake since he's been there before and liked it (not boating). I did some checking, and it does allow motorized boats and mentions wakeboarding, but I can't find anything from anyone who's ever gone there. Does anyone have any input on Crimson Lake?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, never been to Crimson Lake so I can't help, but if you end up going be sure to give us a review.

Ghost was calm today. We should plan that meet and make it happen this year. June 19th at Ghost? I'll have a BBQ in case you need to grill anything. This date isn't set but just a quick suggestion. Enjoy a few laughs in the cove and do what you want the rest of the day out on the lake. Anyone in?

Ghost was calm today. We should plan that meet and make it happen this year. June 19th at Ghost? I'll have a BBQ in case you need to grill anything. This date isn't set but just a quick suggestion. Enjoy a few laughs in the cove and do what you want the rest of the day out on the lake. Anyone in?

Would love to, but I'm building a new house and just sold the old one, so I'm not sure where I'll have the boat stored, or myself for that matter...:rofl: Looks like I may be homeless for a while. Plus I bought a Yamaha AR230HO, so I'm not sure if I'm allowed out with the Sea-Doos:rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ghost

Had to test a boat at ghost last week just came through rainy okanagan with a new one just had to try it.started blizzarding lol. calm water but about -200 degrees. Id like to get out on that june 19 day if im town.meet some other owners.

Anyone at Ghost yesterday, or even today for that matter?
Just wondering if the water level has come up at all?
I was out on Wed June 2 and it was really low still...it was brisk, but got to play for a while.

Was thinking about heading out this afternoon, but was curious how it is...

So to answer my own question...holy CRAP was it busy today!

The water level HAS NOT come up at all...which is causing big probs on the north launch. Anyone that is launching anything over 18 FT, GO TO THE SOUTH SIDE! The problem being, the water is just above the very end of the ramp, and it drops off very quickly. There were more than a few that had huge issues trying to get it back on the trailer, as the trailer when in the water was on a horrible angle. With approx 20 other waiting, someone this a large MasterCraft, who was decided to back in and waste both sides of the ramp, took 20+ minutes and the help of 6 others to get his boat on the trailer. Another thing that was screwing him was that was using a F350, and with that being so high up, it made the angle worse.

But then it happened over and over as people were trying to get out.

For those with Seadoo's/PWC, no problems.

The south side, while not as quick of drop after the ramp, is still quite shallow....again, easy for PWC, but for others, be careful!

Sorry for going on so long, but just my observations from today!

Gull Lake

Hi gang,
Went out to Gull the last couple of nights and also ran into low level issues. If launching at Aspen Beach, keep close to the west side of the launch pad as the east portion is all sanded in. Not sure if it is so much the water level as the ramps do not look like they have been dredged out.
the lake was great last night - calm and hot:hurray:

Aaron - with your expertise and willingness to lend amazing advice, I for one would have to say this forum would be crazy say that, just because you bought a (gasp) Yamaha, you couldn't be a part of out family. Please stick around, okay?

Ghost and Barrier

Was our at Ghost the past few weekends and didn't have any real issues launching from the south ramp. Wasnt too busy either. Never tried the north ramp, just thought it was for the campground only... Is it a better ramp?

Went to Barrier lake yesterday an had a blast! The park office warned of dead heads and floating debris, but the lake was clear and had no issues. :)

Back