Lakes around the Calgary area

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
going to buy

Hi guys, great thread!
I live about 10 minutes from Gull Lake and was wondering what makes it average compared to Sylvan, B-Jet? I have never had a boat and we are on the lookout for a Challenger 180 (05 or newer) so am VERY green and am looking for any wisdom from you pros.

I have not taken my boat to Lake Newel yet, but was giving it serious thought for this summer. Anyone know what the camping is like around the lake?

B-jet add some detail to your lake ratings. I'm curious as to what makes them good or bad. I have friends that have a cabin on Wizard, and I'm not sure I would call it good.:rofl: (average maybe)

Gull is a great lake but Sylvan is deeper, that's all. When I was younger it was always Sylvan, now that I have a family it is usually Gull. :D

I didn't want to bash Wizard, I agree with good to average rating because it is nice and close to Edmonton. :cheers:

Thanks B-Jet, I have heard that Sylvan is better from a friend but I am not crazy about how busy that lake gets - just too many people. That is why Gull will be my first choice.

I like Gull Lake and it is nice to see the water level back up again. I mentioned this to a longtime buddy of mine who lives nearby in Rimbey and asked if he knew why.

He told me the Blindman River runs in to Gull Lake and that it may have something to do with it. He also stated that all the c#$% from peoples farms and livestock winds up there too.:ack:

So many lakes I have yet to explore... hope I have enough time off this summer to check a few off the list :) I have been to Gull once and even though I didn't see another boat during my 90 minute stay (I was on SE side) I found that place to be ChopCity :ack:

I feel a SeaDoo Alberta "Doo" coming this summer, would be great to meet and see your boats out on the lake!

As for Ghost Lake it may be cold but at least you can use it 300 days a year :rofl:

Pics from a few days ago...
gl1.jpg

gl2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Ghost a big lake? Never been to that one yet. :)
10km long and 1.5km wide with an average depth of 60-90ft... but I'm fairly sure you can add another 15km of Bow river for certain boats :)

It's actual location is between Calgary and the start of the rockies about 10 km north of the trans canada on the 1A highway. The docks are in really good shape and you can unload up to 5 boats at one time. It has some nice private coves and there are a few great spots for watersports that are always calm but it may take you days to find them :rofl:

Well I bumped into a boating buddy and had lunch dt today and he's heard Newall is great but it has lots of rocks so it's easy to damage a prop :rofl:

In other news I did list my boat seeing if I can sell it and upgrade to something that can handle a few more bikinis on board :) Someone even called and is coming by tmrw to check it out, we'll see what happens...

radu I have no input for Buffalo lake but do look forward to see if anyone else does.

I am curious what you guys are paying for insurance since my policy is coming to an end soon and am curious if I should shop around. For a 2001 Sportster LE I paid $450 last year with I think Premium Marine Ins but maybe my broker bumped that so curious where what my fellow Seadoo comrades think?

I did go down to the boat show and dream.... some vendors had good deals on last years gear and boats. With the sliding CDN $$$ lots of boats bumped up in price even with the state of the economy.

boat insurance

Just paid my boat insurance today,$273 ,$500 dect,includes trailer (added to my home policy)
2005 Sportster 155 insured for $14000.

Lee thanks for letting me know, I'll make sure to find a deal similar to yours. I get a really good rate on the cars and house but had a feeling they were grossing me nicely on the boat.

I sold the Sportster but there is a very good chance I'll be getting another Seadoo boat in the next week. I'm hoping for either more power or more bikini hauling capability with a wake tower so we'll see what happens.

Anyone planning to go to Ghost Lake in April, docks are usually in around mind April FYI. Any other recos for early season lakes in Alberta? Any good fishing spots I should enjoy before watersport season starts?

Ice is getting thin!!!!!!!

Took a drive out to Pine Coulee reservoir this afternoon to kill some time, and see what was happening with the ice. More than half of the lake is open water, and the remaining ice looks really thin.:)

Wont be much longer until we can get the boats out of mothballs. Does anyone else know what any of the other lakes look like?

Aaron:cheers:

Attachments

• Kookanusa and Pine Coulee 2.JPG
    Kookanusa and Pine Coulee 2.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 27
  • Kookanusa and Pine Coulee 0042.JPG
    Kookanusa and Pine Coulee 0042.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 27
Hey Aaron, You getting the itch too?
Val and I were just talking today about a day trip to Koocanusa next week to check on the water level. This nice weather has been a long time coming:cheers:

Water level

Lee I heard a rumor last fall that the Guys down in Libby made some sort of deal to not drop the water level this last winter. I have not been out that way since though, so I can't verify that at all.

You should call ahead and check with the folks at Madera. Might be worth taking the boat with you.

PS: let me know if you see any for rent signs:)

Gull Lake

Drove out to Gull last week and it was still looking pretty solid but lots can change very quickly at this time of year (not quick enough, though).

Lee I heard a rumor last fall that the Guys down in Libby made some sort of deal to not drop the water level this last winter. I have not been out that way since though, so I can't verify that at all.

You should call ahead and check with the folks at Madera. Might be worth taking the boat with you.

PS: let me know if you see any for rent signs:)

Yah,I heard the same rumor:)
I'll probably take the boat to Pine coulee first,take some gps speed runs,then maybe change the intake grate and compare performance,then hopefully to the lake May long.:cheers:

Anyone going to Pine Coulee this weekend?

I got a new 215hp 4tec Sportster so I'm a Seadoo owner once again. Any tips where to buy a battery? I've seen them range from $58-$165, I'm not about to cheap out since it's a very important piece of equipment but wouldn't mind hearing your opinions.

When are we going out for the White Water trip? :cheers: and happy boating folks

congrats

Congrats on the new boat!
Too cold for me to go boating at the coulee:chillpill:
I have good luck with Costco's batteries(Kirkland) I have them in all my stuff.
I'm going to Koocanusa tommorrow to check out the progress and water level:coolgleam:

PS make sure there is a least one boat on the water,and take your cell phone, paddle,tow rope etc,Being the first trip out and all:)

Anyone going to Pine Coulee this weekend?

BRRRRR:chillpill:..................Make sure you wear your survival suit !!

Not sure if they will have the docks in yet. Might make picking people up at the shore tough with the water just above freezing. I know it's hard to wait when you have a new toy, but you would have more company around May long weekend.

If you do head out watch for icebergs, and be sure to take some pictures.

Welcome to the forum PMM.:cheers:
This will be Bow Cycle south's first boating season so there will be minimal experiences with them. I was just talking to them yesterday regarding some parts for my boat and they seemed quite helpful and interested:)ack:) in my business.
A lot easier than phoning long distance from High River to Cochrane only to leave a message:hat:

Lee and rookie didn't make it out to the Coulee on Sunday but will be there this Sunday (if it's sunny and over 15o temp) with at least another boat so in case anyone gets the bug to go out let me know.

Checked the fluids in the boat before the trip and everything didn't seem 100% so got a battery from costco and dropped it off in Cochrane for preseason service that was done same day.

I dropped by BowCycle to pick up a common BRP screw and since they didn't have any in stock they wanted me to order 10 since BRP only sells them in these amounts. $100 for a single screw was relatively humorous so I got Bowridge to mail one to me for $10 :)

Lee I know what you mean by getting Voicemail at Bowridge but they seem to be answering all calls direct this season so far.

Back