Lakes around the Calgary area

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Unfortunately it was a no go. Do to the forecasted thunder showers (which never materialized:ack:) the consensus was to wait for better weather.

Aaron:cheers:

:agree:
Unfortunately it was a no go. Do to the forecasted thunder showers (which never materialized:ack:) the consensus was to wait for better weather.

Rule i go buy. Even if they call for rain i go, Id rather waist 2 hrs driving then a whole day of boating.. Ya never know what the weather will do :cheers:

:agree:

Rule i go buy. Even if they call for rain i go, Id rather waist 2 hrs driving then a whole day of boating.. Ya never know what the weather will do :cheers:

Fantastic Rule! This is the way to live the boating life :hat:

Unfortunate we didn't play it that way for the Ghost Lake meet but the third attempt will pay off :cheers: Even today when I got to Ghost it started raining a few minutes before we launched the boat, hung out under the bridge for about 10 minutes, watched lighting strike about 50-200km away, was mentally ready for a quick 20 minute wakeskate session then head home.... low and behold we ended up having 5 hours of str8 sun :hurray: The water was like glass, saw 3 other fishing boats but they didn't hang around me at all!

Drove by Ghost yesterday and the water levels look good, only 3-4 feet lower then normal. I picked up the boat to drop of at BowRidge to check the impeller, since they were too busy to get it in the shop this week one of the employees checked it out and confirmed some wood is caught in it. Told me the easiest way to get it out, what not to do and said everything looks fine otherwise in about 15 minutes and set me off my way.

I had no appt but with knowledge in hand I headed to pick up a set of super long pliers and a mechanics mirror. I lifted up the boat and had the sticks out in 15 minutes, weather is looking nice tmrw and I'm very busy in July so hookie from work has to happen :hat:

Rocky,good to hear you you got your boat fixed:hurray:
We'll all definately have to meet up this summer some time. I'm off to Koocanusa thurs till tues.Hopin' for some great boat'n and tube'in:cheers:

Forecast called for rain out in Cochrane, well I made the drive even with the clouds looming over the mountains to ghost today. Sunny all day, some minor winds but the 5 boats out all had big grins going :cheers:

I did manage to screw up the boat again but will take a few tools and try to figure it out before my Shuswap trip this weekend. (Started a thread with problems encountered in the boat forum FYI) After so many happy days of smooth sailing with seadoos I guess a few minor glitches were due :reddevil:

Lee I'm looking forward to seeing your boat in the water, then I'll finally know what mine looks like from another view :cheers:

Are there any hotels to stay at near Koocanusa? If many any recomendations? It would be great if they had a dock I could store the boat in overnight so I don't have use the trailer everyday.

Rocky,The closest hotel to us I know of is Fernie(1 hr away):(
Their may be some motels on the highway closer,but at least 50 km. from our spot. There is a small campground at the marina in gold bay,which I would assume fills up fast,and there are other spots along the lake that the locals know of .Highmark can probably help with that info. But thats just where we are.The lake is like90km long ,I'm sure there are hotels north and south of us:)
If you want to go over the border look around Rexford,its beautiful down there

Rocky,The closest hotel to us I know of is Fernie(1 hr away):(
Their may be some motels on the highway closer,but at least 50 km. from our spot. There is a small campground at the marina in gold bay,which I would assume fills up fast,and there are other spots along the lake that the locals know of .Highmark can probably help with that info. But thats just where we are.The lake is like90km long ,I'm sure there are hotels north and south of us:)
If you want to go over the border look around Rexford,its beautiful down there

Any cheap land on the US side of this lake? I'm thinking of getting a small cabin going south of the border but I'm not sure where yet... Idaho or Montana?

On my trip to Shuswap I noticed the lower tower connection disappeared as I was driving past louise, it ended up being a broken weld so i was shocked but hear this is a fairly common problem and it should be fixed by tmrw so I'll be out on ghost a few days this week/end.

Hey guys, I'm new to Sea-doo and new to these forums.

Just read over most of this thread and sounds like most of you guys go boating south of Calgary. I'm from Red Deer and usually hit up Sylvan Lake. If any of you wanna goto Sylvan, post here and I'll try to meet up. Wouldn't mind goin to Gull Lake either

Hey there Rabdo and welcome to the forum and congrat's on your Seadoo. :hurray:
I am also new to the boating world and to Seadoo's and this forum has been a great aid for me.
I am in Lacombe and have only been to Gull so far - that's been enough for now :)
Happy boating and hope to see you out on the water!

Heading down to Waterton Lakes this afternoon...first time down there for me with the power boat...looks like great weather...have a great long weekend. PMM

Be sure and post a couple of pictures if you can, as well as a review. I have often wondered about that area, but have never been.

Waterton Lakes are very nice, Saturday there was a bit of a wind so the lake had a bit of chop but later in the evening it calmed down. I was told that the wind can come up out of no where so be careful. There are 2 boat launches, one in town near the marinia but there doesnt seem to be any trailer parking there. The second launch is just east of the Prince of Wales hotel...some parking but not lots and a gravel launch. There is dock space for at least 6 boats. When you launch here you are actually in Middle Waterton Lake, its small but seemed really calm and a few degrees warmer (69F). Going south from there through the channel (5 feet deep) you enter Lower Waterton Lake. To your right up on the hill is the hotel and if you keep to that side you will be in "Divers Bay" and the town marina. The lake wa 64 F and deep...over 200' in most places...surounded by mountians on alll sides. The lake is only about 10kms long and about a 1km wide. Sunday there was a bit of boat traffic but didnt seem busy at all and the water was like glass :). At the south end there is a Ranger Station and 2 docks. One is used for the tour boats and the other smaller one is for people like us. When you step on the dock you are actually in Montana and if you wish to venture on the hiking paths beyond the ranger station you must present a passport like any other border crossing. We had our passports but desided just to hang out on the beach in front of the ranger station and therefore didnt have to present any docs. Beautiful lake, reminded me a lot of Minnewanka near Banff. I would recommend this for a weekend get away, the campground is nice but no camp fires in the Town site campground. If any one has questions I will do my best to answer. PMM

Waterton is my fav spot in Alberta :cheers: But don't let the secret spread b/c it's already busy enough with all the folks from Utah/Montana/Idaho and Saskatchewan! I'm surprised how many of my born and raised Alberta friends haven't been here yet. If I were to describe it.... imagine being in Banff in the 1920s :hat:

Only 160 ppl live here, and they probably don't have that many more hotel rooms either, deer walk through town like they own the place, it's a great place to relax :hurray: The only downside is it can get windy! If this is the case for boaters you can head north to the middle lake or even further to lower lake, usually both are very calm and usually won't have another boat on it.

I usually grab a hotel room (Watch out they're $$$ but there is one great deal in town) and get a boat slip so I don't have to worry about driving or launching while I'm there. Lots of really nice hikes around the area, esp on the Montana side.

Upper Waterton Lake taken from Prince of Wales hotel, docks on the right
wa1.jpg

Middle Lake
wa2.jpg

Waterton looks awesome! I'll have to check that one out.
Koocanusa was hot,hot,hot! It got to 40c on Sat,Out on the lake was nice and cool at 30 mph with the bimini up. It was 27 when I left at noon today. We are going back this weekend and I'll take some pics this time and post them :cheers:

i was there for 5 days and didn,t see you. Saw lots of other seadoo boats though. i have the shuttlecraft and super loud boat. Weather does not look too good for this weekend.

Highmark,We were on the water for 5hrs Sat. and only 2.5 on Sun. I heard some pretty loud boats ,one of which set up a slalom course in front of our bay Sat evening. Our bay is just north of the border a couple hundred yards on the west side .We were tied off to a house boat in the bay at night.:cheers::cheers: Saturday we went down as far as Rexall when we hit lots of sticks:ack:,chewed up a couple and headed north past the bridge to the rock Islands and watched the kids cliff diving. We are going back out on Fri. I left the boat out there,although its cavitating alot(wear ring I think)but Val and the dog are coming this time and they like to putter:(

I agree I used to live in Ross Haven and Lac St. Anne was average. But the water got real soupy around the end of July. And its shallow and has some BIG rocks just below the surface.

Move

Do what I did. I used to live in Cow town then moved to Edmonton for a change of view. Vacationed in the Oknagan once. And well you should know the rest.

Peachfest just ended here It was a great time. My 15 year old son has a permagrin. (Hes from the Hat). Told me "Dad im coming back next year"

Im not sure if you guys would pull your boat his far for a vacation but its well worth it. :cheers:

Minnewanka

Well I finally gave Minnewanka a try last Sunday. What an absolutely gorgeous lake. The scenery is fantastic and there is almost no boat traffic. I did the entire length of the lake a saw maybe twenty other boats and they were all fishing.

The water is crystal clear. With the depth finder reading twenty feet it looked like you could reach in and grab a rock off the bottom. There are tons of places to pull in to shore for a picnic. All in all an almost perfect lake. The only downside is it's COLD. Didn't stop me from going in the water, but I'm not going to lie....... man it was cold.:ack: Still worth a swim on a hot day and if you had a good wetsuit, water sports would not be an issue.

Attachments

• Banff 011.jpg
    Banff 011.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Banff 002.jpg
    Banff 002.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Banff 032.jpg
    Banff 032.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Banff 021.jpg
    Banff 021.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Aaron - great pictures - thanks for sharing. My wife and I took a drive out there at the start of August and we were also impressed with the clarity of the water (especially compared to our Gull where, if the water is any deeper than 3 feet, seeing the bottom is iffy :ack: ).

Thanks for the great info, everyone. I just purchased a new Speedster 15/215hp today, so am looking forward to trying out these locations. I took a test drive of a 155/215 in Ghost Lake this morning, and have used a friend's GTX 155 at McGregor, but it's good to have a list of all the good spots in the area.

Well I was out on the water the weekend before last and saw about 11 other boats on Ghost that day! I sold my Seadoo, this one seemed so much more finicky then the last one.

You won't be able to miss me next year on Ghost though, I'll be in the 27.5 foot blue stripe Cobalt open bow, now I won't just have space for 4 ppl but 18 :)

All the best with your Seadoos and say hello if you see me next summer :cheers:

Back