Lake Gaston (NC/VA) X4 Ride

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Man, what a fun day guys! I had a blast. The ride up isn't bad either, especially if you have someone to chat with. Looking forward to a "Next Time". I poked around my engine to find out why it started cutting out and don't know what it is yet. I pulled the plugs and the PTO (the one that was barfing oil out the Rave) was all black. Usually if a plug is black, it's because that piston ran w/o oil. I pulled the oil pump, tested it w/ a drill and both sides pump well. I got 4ml/min spinning it roughly 3k rpm holding oil pump WOT. That's actually twice what the book calls for, so I think I'm good on oil. That clicking sound I think is the RV gear, they're always a little loose. The PTO was 5psi lower than the last time I measured it, and pulling the head revealed that it did rub out a spot on the cylinder a little (can't see cross hatch anymore). It looks like a bearing or something on that side is starting to fail. Could it be ingesting water? Would that cause it make black spark plugs? Is the black from metal coming off a part? I think I'm going to post a new thread about it.

Had a great time too. Perfect weather.

Something is definitely going on with that rear cylinder, especially with the new RAVE spitting up so much. Beyond that I am scratching my head too.

Yeah! What a blast. Soooooo much fun. Like Andrew said I wish we could just reset summer and do it all over.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My ski is getting hard to start, which was my really only new casualty. That kinda started last time up at Gaston. Other than that my ski ran great and GPSed at 57.5mph!! I'm really happy with that. I'm half tempted to not even fix my intake grate.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That's always the first place to start. I like to pull mine, connect them to the wires, hold them to ground and turn the motor over. Watching them arc can sometimes reveal things like a plug not firing, or intermittently firing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I pulled my plugs just to check for plug color and they looked good. I need to take a pic of the mag one and post it. It's like brownish/whitish/black all at the same time. LOL! PTO was dark brown so it's good.

Back