Jet Boat/PWC Advice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matty_ICE15

Hey guys, another newbie. Reciently got a new job and looking to invest in a waverunner or jet boat with my old man. First real job means that my budget is fairly limited. Looking for a good deal on something that will run fine and last a couple years before I can upgrade. Tubing/Wakeboarding/General weekend usage would be the primary purpose for it. I've seen threads that cover a bunch of different issues when looking at new jet boats (which I'd rather buy than a smaller PWC). Here is a link to one that popped up reciently that caught my eye... http://madison.craigslist.org/boa/4383010827.html

Like I said, I'm new to this so any advice will help.

Thanks,

Matt

Whatever you consider buying, make sure to water test it first if possible. Otherwise you can count on unanticipated problems which can add up quickly. A cylinder compression test is your first line of defense against an engine replacement, something that's been "worked on" often wasn't done correctly unless the person doing the work knows what he's doing and can answer all your questions.

As mentioned, Ride and drive for at least 30 minutes and do a compression test. Let us know the numbers you get and the ski and then we can tell you more about the condition of the engine and where the numbers should be.

Though I only buy 4-stroke larger skis, I don't think they will be an option for you based on the money you want to spend.

2-stroke skis are cheaper in almost all cases. They are often a bit smaller and more nimble as well. I generically can tell you what to look for, others will be able to provide specific information as far as a models and the money you should spend.

I can tell you that northern skis cost more than skis from the south. It has to do with hommw much they can be ridden and the fact that there are simply more skis available in the south.

Last edited by a moderator:
The boats can be money pits, esp the dual motor ones. Double the parts, double the problems, double the $$. They are very fun though! The one you posted is very reasonable though, it must have cost the guy a $1000 or more to have that tower built.

My personal preference is 787 motored machines, although the 720s are great motors too.

If you pick something up before memorial weekend, We have a large get together called the Dells Freeride May 30-june 2. 3k worth of raffle stuff, 100+ skis of all shapes and sizes....its an awesome weekend.

Welcome to the best Seadoo site on the planet! If theres anything I can help with just let me know.

You might want to do some more homework on wakeboarding behind one, they are powerful but light and do not have trim. I think if you put a 200 lbs guy pulling on the top of that tower you'd have a lot of problems keeping the bow down, that's just a guess though.

$3,800 is a good deal in the midwest assuming the interior is OK, seats are typically ripped up at that age.

I sold the exact same boat last summer for over 4k and it did not have the tower. As mentioned the towers are very expensive, that wake board storage rack he has alone is about $500 (crazy I know).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back