jet boat prob

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

1fastdoo

hey guys i just bought a 96 challenger jetboat in the fall. We took it out one time before it got too cold. The motor ran great, but when we would rev it up from an idle it wouldnt really go any where. engine would rev right up and sound good but it had a top speed of about 7mph. Someone told us that the prop and housing might be worn. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Welcome to the seadoo forum 1 fastdoo. I would check the impeller and the wear ring for wear. If the impeller wear ring has too much clearence it will cause this problem as it doesn't have the thrust because of the extra space it has. If you want more info you could sign up as a premium member and have a authenic seadoo manual at your finger tips. You can read it on line as a pdf file or print it off for your own personal and privet use. Click on the "seadoo Manuals" link at the top of the page. If you have any other questions give us a shout. There are a lot of active members here eager to answer your questions.
Karl

Pump....

That is the obvious symptom of a demolished wear ring. You may be able to look through the intake grate and visually see this. The clearance between the wear ring and impellor is 1/16 of an inch or less.
Since it’s winter time, you may want to pop off the pump and do a real good visual on it. While your at it, change the pump oil. It’s in the little cone at the end of the pump. You’ll notice an allen head screw in it. Just remove and re-fill with Seadoo blend, synthetic pump oil.
There are only 4 bolts that retain the reverse bucket, then 4 bolts that hold the pump on. That’s it, outside the linkage.
If you do this, when you get the bolts off the pump, it is usually sealed with silicone. So breaking this seal can be a bit stubborn. Also, you’ll have to remove the water hose from the cooling water pick up tube.
Good luck, ……..make a post to let us know what you decide to do. If you want to do it yourself, then keep the post coming. You’ll be surprised at how much you can get accomplished when you got friends helping you!....
Oh, and like Karl said, it’s much easier with access to the manual library!

wearing ring

The wearing ring is an easy replacement. The guys in my shop can do a bearing and wearing ring replacement in as little as 3 hours. It's really an easy job.

Just wondering;
What would make the wear ring go bad from just sitting? The previouse owner used it twice after an engine rebuild and then parked it for almost 2yrs. He said the both times he used it every thing was fine. What happens for the ring to go bad in the driveway?

I haven't heard anything happen to the wear ring from just sitting. It wears out from sand, stones and debris getting between the wear ring and the impeller. It is cheaper to replace the wear ring than the jet pump tunnel. Is it cracked or something?

Sitting....

If it sits up without being in the water on a periodic basis, it will dry rot. It's made of a real hard rubber. With temperature change and humidity or lack there of, it will dry out and crack...

Wearing ring?

The wearing ring is easy, but there are some ways to cause potential damage to your pump housing. If you want to do this yourself, it's pretty easy. After you pop off the reverse gate and the 4 nuts that hold the pump on, remove the pump. You'll have to wiggle it free alot of times, they get stuck from the silicone sealant.
But when you get the pump off, you'll have to remove the impellor to get to it. When you remove the cone at the tip of the impellor, you'll have alot of oil pour out. Catch this oil in a cup or something. If it has a yellowish color to it, that means your seals are bad and water is getting into the bearings of your impellor. It the oil is clean, then you may be able to use the same bearings. Although, when you go this far into the pump, it's a good idea to go ahead and change them. You'll also need a special tool to take off the impellor.
Once the impellor is off, you just take a small saw ( I used a broken hacksaw blade with tape wrapped around it) and cut the impellor wear ring in two spots. LIke 12 oclock and 4 oclock. Then, gently pry it out with a screwdriver. When putting the new one in, just lay the pump on a flat surface, put some soapy water on the ring, lay it on top and gently tap it in with a 2X4 and a hammer.
It sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't that bad. The impellor removal tool cost about $12 and should be able to get it from a local Seadoo distributer in your local area!...........Good luck!

:agree: Right seadoosnipe. If you do the job yourself come back so we can give you the proper oil and amount to replace.
Karl

The ring drying out makes sense. The boat is wrapped up in a tarp in the back yard right now. Have to let the weather get a little nicer before we break it out. I haven't had a chance to look it over good. Thanks for the advice. Will let you know how we do .

Tarp?

While it is o.k. to cover the boat with a tarp to keep the elements out, like rain, leaves and U.V. rays from the sun, the tarp needs to be open from the bottom and removed on occasion to keep the moisture/humidity from building up in the engine compartment.
I leave my back cover cracked slightly and the secondary cover over the engine removed and in my garage. That way, I don't have a problem with moisture. I realized this the first time I opened my engine cover after coming back from the river. The boat sat for about 2 days and when I opened it, I was shocked to see how wet it was inside.
Now I take my cover off once a week on a nice day and let everything get a little air!............

I agree with seaoosnipe, don't let the seadoo sit covered too tightly even in the winter months.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back